What modifications have you made to your new Bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E
I've been enjoying reading all the posts people have made on this board the past few weeks regarding aftermarket parts and accessories and stuff to add onto their new Birds. I'm wondering what modifications you've all have made to your cars?

I'm the kind of guy who can't leave anything alone. Sorta like Tim "The Toolman" Taylor on the old Home Improvement show.

I've not yet seen the arrival of a new Bird in my garage, but am eagerly thinking about the mods I'd like to make: 18" wheels, performance tires, white seat inserts, maybe some tasteful pinstriping, suspension mods, chrome hood scoop, two tone horn, color keyed floormats, hood light, rolling the ugly under door flange to the inside so it can't be seen and maybe a Borla style exhaust.
biggrin.gif

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Sorry to intrude - it's a good topic - but I have a different slant on the subject and wondered how others feel. I don't see myself making any permanent changes to the car. I like it the way it is and am more interested in having fun with it on the road. I intend to keep up with scheduled maintenance and keep appearances up, but I think I'll let someone else compete for the prizes. No decals, no aftermarket parts, no car bras, no fancy valve caps, no special paint job - I'm just going to drive it and enjoy it and let the next owner [way down the road] worry about restoration details. Anyone else with those thoughts?

I have mounted a set of Boyd Coddinging 17" Bitchin Blaster billet wheels, the chrome hood scoop and am planning on a Borla exhaust in the future (the catback system should be available soon). I would like to get a set of the red insert seats (have the black accent package now) but I don't know if I want to drop the type of money I'm sure that Ford is going to ask for them. If a performance chip becomes available and doesn't mess with the warranty, I would probably install one.

This coming Tuesday I am having the brake calipers painted bright gloss red and having the windows tinted.

Any of the stock parts that come off the car will be stored so that in the distant future I can put the car back in as delivered condition.

tr

I'm with you. The only thing I intend to do right off the bat is install the chrome bezel on the hood scoop and upgrade the floor mats. Then it's Fun, Fun, Fun!!!

------------------
Blue/Blue Premium w/ Full Accent '02 - VIN #1FAHP60A02Y111538 - Being built week of 2/11

Yellow '76

I have stored the NM floor mats,original 21 spoke chrome wheels and Michelin tires and the original battery.

Put the VOXX Argus 5 spoke painted wheel and Firestone tires, aftermarket Logo floor mats,both winter rubber and summer carpet.
The NM Bird has the chrome bezel and winged portholes from the factory, or I would have added them.
TBird cargo net for trunk, Optima spiral cell no-leak battery in trunk,and rubber mat to protect carpet in trunk. Dashmat dash cover to protect the dash in black with personalized script in white thread.

Installed chrome license plate frames.

I plan on KN air and oil filters and they should be out in the next few weeks.

Just received the EZtop from Emil and will install that in the next few weeks.

I ordered clear protection kit for lights and basic hood/fender.mirror kits from XPel today.

The rubbing problem, on the rear deck area at the hardtop seal touch-point, is a design defect on these high dollar roadsters and should be corrected with 3M clear shield,but I am going to try to get FORD to pay for this modification, as it is clearly a recall type issue! Any thoughts on board concerning this problem and solution(s)?

------------------
'56 + NM '02 Birds
'98F250'01 Olds Aurora4.0
'68 AMC AMX
'73 Volvo 1800ES

-

-

Boy, I like some of the ideas all of you came up with. So far I have just painted the bird in my hubcap, turquoise, added the wings to the portholes and today I am taking it to my dealer to have the chrome bezel installed. I installed a CB radio that is no larger than the normal CB microphone. It's a must when traveling across the country alone. I've always been one to customize just a bit, but still keep it pretty original, such as the fairlane stripes on my 55 and a 56 type continental kit on a 57. I have a/c and cruise on all 5 of my classic birds. Those are a must when you're old and spoiled. Will be watching this thread for more ideas. THANKS !!

biggrin.gif
I'm not doing too much to mine. I did do the painting of the hubs, wings in port holes, chrome benzel,crome valve stems and caps, black fuzzy dice,Bird emblem in trunk and am thinking very seriously about having a stripe painted on along the side in the side crease of the body, one color fading into another color. But that will probably be it for me.
I forgot the GOOD T-Bird floor mats.
------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

-

jodrod, you are having your brake calipers painted red, this will look good on YOUR car, but have you heard anything about the aftermarket people that make touch-up paint, such as Duplia Color that will be comming out with the colors to match some of our birds so we can paint our calipers the same as the car. I did send them an email months ago to try and get paint for a plastic model but never got a response from that.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

-

I installed the white/blue T-Bird emblem in the portholes. That's probably the extent of my modifying other than the logo floormats. One swipe of a razor blade can remove the wings if I want to. I think if I want a car with a lot of modifications I'd buy a kit T-Bucket or Cobra and modify all I want. But with the T-Bird I'm sticking with original.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

-

Well so far, 18" HRE Custom wheels, 2nd set of mats..this time from Designer mat in Anaheim, Red with the TBird Logo and Script, XM radio installed in the blank space under the A/C. I have White on order to replace the Black and as soon as that comes in, K&N air filter when available, Raybestos front pads when available, and definately an aftermarket cat-back system..Borla or Flowmaster...and possibly hand painted pinstriping.

LeonK: any chance of posting a picture of the XM Radio installation? I'm also very curious about how to remove that panel and what's behind it. Any info on this would be very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back