water repellent | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

water repellent

• Thread starter Thread starter jerrym3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my Bird to the dealer for it's second free oil change.

Got it back with what looked like a water stain (about the size of an egg) on the convertible top(?)

Didn't think anything about it until I washed the car last night. The water beaded everywhere on the top except on the "spot".

When I tried to brush the spot clean, it just spread to make a bigger spot.

Does anyone know what Ford does to the top to make water bead up? Is there any particular FORD brand water repellent?

Appreciate the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I don't know if Ford makes a repellant or not, but RaggTopp is a super product. It claims to be endorsed by all cv top manufacturers. I've used it on my 2002 Bird and on a Chrysler Sebring before it. It sprays on, dries quickly, has no odor, and is completely invisible. Your top will bead up like rubber! You may have to do a Google search for it--I 've never seen it available locally.

Jerry,

You've got to try the 303 product that is called Fabric guard. You can find it on the internet, buy it online or look up a local store that carries it.

It's used for convertible tops of all types as well as fabrics, vinyls, etc. It's the best. Invisible, yet will last all year long. Mine beads up so much when I wash it, the kids love to come out and try to "catch" the sheets of water rolling off the top!

Charles -

I love the 303 interior product, however when I used the water repellent on the top, I accidently had alot of overspray onto the body of the car...Took me about 6 hours to get all that stuff off. Also, I now have a few shiny areas on the top where it rubs when stored, and I wonder if the shiny spots have anything to do with the water repellent.

(If you can't tell, I wouldn't recomend using it)

Brad,
Right! I did the same thing, too, treating the spray like some kind of vinyl dressing. WRONG! The first year I put it on, I was looking through the windshield at the overspray for months. (Thats how I know it lasts so long)Definitly cover your windows & body with a towel before spraying 303.

Many Marine supply stores carry 303. A big item for use on boat canvas' 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back