Vinyl tonneau cover (boot) | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Vinyl tonneau cover (boot)

• Thread starter Thread starter bobschantz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B
I have a 2002 bird and am thinking about getting a vinyl tonneau cover so it doesn't use up so much trunk space.

I'm wondering if it will flap in the wind and possibly scuff the paint. I'm not crazy about the way it fastens under the trunk lid but it looks like it stores really nicely. Everything's a trade-off.

If someone has one I would appreciate their input on it.

I saw a picture of the '03 tonneau cover and it looks nice but it's too expensive and doesn't look like it would fit in the trunk cubby hole as good as the vinyl one.

Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've talked with people that have these and like them. Yes they do get air under them so you need the snaps tight.
They are a great space saver and most guys that have them use them for long trips only, since they don't look as good as the hard cover.

Bob:
In March I poste the following re: soft travel boot:
Received my travel boot a few weeks ago. Took off the hard top last week.
My impressions:
Looks good on the (black) car. My son said that it makes the rear deck look longer.
The travel boot works as advertised. It takes up very little room in the truck.
It looks to be made well.
Took son and me less than two minutes to put in place for the first time
Took me less than two minutes to put in place alone.
I recommend this Z3 Solutions product.

I have used the boot many, many time since March and still think that it's a good product.
Regards - - - -

Thanks for the info. on the boot cover. I'm still undecided but leaning toward buying it.

It really bugs me how much trunk space the factory cover uses up.

I stopped at the dealer this morning and the parts guy quoted me a price of over $500 for an '03 boot cover. That's flat out highway robbery.

When you are driving 55mph or faster do you notice any flapping noise from the cover? Also, does it do any scuffing of the paint?

My Bird is yellow so I'm sure the black cover would look great.

Bob Schantz

Bob:
I live in San Diego. I drive the mile to Von's at over 55 mph.
No problem driving fast with the soft boot. No flapping as long as you tuck in the boot tail, which is a small portion of the tail about the width of the deck mounted break light. The tail slips under the deck lid............ again, no problem.
I agree that the 2002 factory boot looks better, but the soft travel boot looks good and really saves space in the trunk.
Regards - - - -

Bob:
There's also a flat (tonneau) cover, plexiglas (I think) that is supposed to take up less room in the trunk then the original boot. It's a two piece affair and comes with sleeves to protect them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back