Vehicle Thumping Sound | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Vehicle Thumping Sound

• Thread starter Thread starter densbird
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

densbird

Supporting Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 02 Bird with 23k. It was sitting for 7 months in my garage in Florida and when I got there two weeks ago, car started fine and I took it out for a ride. It felt like the car had flat spots on the tires and after driving a while did not improve. Brought it to the Ford Dealer in Naples Fla and they put new tires and brakes on the car. No improvement. After balancing and checking the wheels twice, they replaced the tires with another new set. Same problem.

After the car warms up it seems to ride better. They are now telling me it probably is a ignition coil pack?

Anyone have any idea about this problem?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Den, first of all 23k and needs brakes and tires??? I thought you should get more than that on these two items. I certainly do.
Flat spots is what it sounds like but not if it's on the new tires too. Are you sure they changed those tires?
As for it being a coil issue, I doubt that. You did not mention anything about it sputtering or missing so I can't see how it could be coils. - Maybe we need more info from you.

By the way, mine sits an equal amount of time every winter here in New England, since 2002, and never had these issues. However I do put down 4 pieces of 2'x4' plywood over the concrete to park on.

Dear Thumper

The problem is your beautiful T-Bird is unhappy with you not taking her out for a spin more often. She want's to "Flaunt" her beauty and can't do it while locked up in a garage.....

i have flat spots after the car sits a couple of weeks, but its a "feel" more than a sound. the tires warm up and smooth out though. some tire brands are worse than others. i agree with george. you don't have a coil pack issue. don't see how brakes could be envolved either. i am interested in hearing what is causing your noise, when you find out please let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back