Valve Stem Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I don't think I've seen this question addressed before... My picky neighbor pointed out that although I have the Premium chrome wheels, the valve stem caps are gray plastic. He thinks they should have been chrome. He thinks I got the ones intended for the painted wheels. What kind of caps are on everyone else's T-Bird? Just curious.

------------------
Yellow premium, full accent 4127

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

tbinil, I don't have any idea on this, I'm sure there are people here that can answer this but it would seen that they should have installed the chrome stems on your wheels.Haven't gotten my Bird yet but if it comes in with the gray stems I may have them replaced with chrome.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12 NOW 4of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293 Build Date 01/14

-

I have the premium wheels and the grey plastic caps as well. These are the same stem caps that Ford uses for everything includiong the F-150's I just sold. Pretty cheezy if you ask me, but that's Ford! A qhick solution is a trip to Autozone. Personally, when I go to change tires, I'm probably going to put on Chrome valve stems, but for now, I'll leave it as they are.

Yes, my Blue Bird has the cheapie valve stem caps. I haven't replaced them yet, but I did notice them right off. But I'm thinking, "You know, they are hard to see at 80 mph."

Those valve covers are a joke. Yes, everyone gets the black stems and grey caps.

I found some nice logo caps from Blue Sky Car Cover - they have caps in black graphic or chrome with Thunderbird, Ford, USA stripes logo. Lots of choices and they look nice when showing a car.

Those valve covers are a joke. Yes, everyone gets the black stems and grey caps.

I found some nice logo caps from Blue Sky Car Cover - they have caps in black graphic or chrome with Thunderbird, Ford, USA stripes logo. Lots of choices and they look nice when showing a car. I ordered them with my car cover from Big Sky.

I refused to pick up my car til they put real ones on.!!!Saleswoman got them the next day.
wink.gif
Kidding of course

-

First modification I made to mine was put on chrome valve stem caps! Did it the first night I got it home. The black stems don't bother me enough to get the chrome stem covers but those ugly gray plastic things had to go. Saved them of course for "originality" someday a million years from now.

Paul

------------------
#3739 Premium
Torch Red w/matching top
Standard Interior

Originally posted by 2K2BIRD:
First modification I made to mine was put on chrome valve stem caps! Did it the first night I got it home. The black stems don't bother me enough to get the chrome stem covers but those ugly gray plastic things had to go. Saved them of course for "originality" someday a million years from now.

What about the valve stems too. Chrome caps are easy to find, and easy to lose, you will find out soon.

Tbird

Yeah, I've mysteriously "lost" several over the years (I have them on all my cars & trucks). Bet there are some little boys with pretty good looking caps on their bikes. You've also go to watch and make sure you get them back when you have new tires mounted or go in for a rotation and balance. I usually just pull them off before taking the car in. They aren't that expensive in the scheme of things, but they sure enhance the looks of a vehicle with chrome or polished wheels.

I've had the chrome valve stem sleeves on some of the cars and not others. Most of the stems these days are so short they don't really show up that much. Ugly caps sure do, though.

Paul

------------------
#3739 Premium
Torch Red w/matching top
Standard Interior

I was one of the lucky ones. The factory ships the cars with yellow valve stem caps on the car. The gray ones are in the glove box. The dealer is supposed to change the caps during Pre-Delivery. If there is a yellow cap on the valve stem it means the dealer did not check the tire pressure during the PDI. I happened to be there when they PDI'd the car and snatched up the yellow ones. I put the yellow caps on when I want to show the car. The yellow caps look great on my yello/yellow premium car.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Folks,if you buy any aftermarket valve stem covers/caps.Please use some form of anti- sieze agent on the valve stem threads!!!

Alot of the aftermarket caps are aluminum regaurdless of color and apperance.They may for instance have a chrome exterior but an uncoated aluminum threading.

What will happen is the cap will react over a few months to the brass valve stem(which most are) and chemically weld to it...the valve stem as well as the cap will have to be replaced at that point.

InfernoRed
smile.gif

-

I saw some value caps with LED's in them. First you fill your tire to proper pressure then you put on the new caps with the LED'S in them. When the PSI drops by 4 lbs the LED begins blinking. I thought this was cool and was wondering if anyone had seen them in person?

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.cfm/partfamilyid/614 has LED Tire Valve Stem Caps for $39.95/set. It doesn't mention tire pressure indication - just that "they light up as your wheels spin by centrifugal force."
http://www.midnightmoose.com/fuse.htm and http://www.lightsforyourtires.com/ also.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=600670449&r=0&t=0 has similar caps.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1324052224
and more on eBay - search 'tire valve'
http://www.raskcycle.com/ACC/acc13.html has lighted and also different colored alloy & chrome caps.

Don't know if this is what you are looking for or not, but a quick search for 'tire valve light' or 'tire valve led' turned up these and more.

------------------
Dennis Grant
1960 HT 208K
1992 Sport 227K

Thanks,

I think I may have seen these on a car the other evening. I noticed a blue light on the wheel but did not have a chance to catch the car and look. I did look interesting.

The February issue of Motor Trend has them advertised on page 109. $9.99 a set. You pressure the tire to the desired psi and then install the caps. The caps will then self calibrate to this psi. Whenever a tire psi drops 4 psi below the calibrated psi the LED lights up red letting you know the tire needs air. The battery in each cap lasts about 5 years.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Yep I have a set of those LEDs.The manufacturer of my set is FUSE.Although they do not react to psi..they are machine milled out of aircraft aluminum and simply screw on the valve stem...you then twist it to turn it on.But ofcourse there are several brands out there now....great eye catchers at car shows and cruise ins.At speed,they look like a neon ring attached to the rim.BUT watchout for cops,some are sticklers and will pull you over for things varying from improper light colors to possible confusion with emergency vehicles-how I do not know.When was the last time you saw a cop car or ambulance with lights on the wheels?

InfernoRed

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back