Type of antifreeze for 02 Bird.

edward301
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Checked my coolant bottle and it is at the low mark.

Do not see any leaks, I assume after 16 years it is time for a refill.

I have seen it mentioned here before, but can not find it on search.
What type of antifreeze does a 2002 Bird use.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There are coolants that are compatible w/both normal types of anti-freeze, but it sounds like you might be due to change coolant. Even the extended life has only a 5 year life. When you change it is acceptable to go either way but maintain accordingly.

Checked my coolant bottle and it is at the low mark.

Do not see any leaks, I assume after 16 years it is time for a refill.

I have seen it mentioned here before, but can not find it on search.
What type of antifreeze does a 2002 Bird use.
Just follow the color of the antifreeze. If it's green put the green in it. you can use the 50/50 match until it starts getting colder. If it's the reddish yellow color that's prestone. Just go by what colors in it

Strongly recommend to use the original gold stuff, comes in a red gallon from the dealer. I have an ´02, and i flushed mine.

Just found my radiater mixed the tranny fluid with coolant had a flush 3 times think I need another flush keep an eye on all fluids my 97 is my love letting her sit and rest a bit

Strongly recommend to use the original gold stuff, comes in a red gallon from the dealer. I have an ´02, and i flushed mine.
Is there a block drain ?

I always unhook the top radiator hose when I'm flushing it out. The water flows out through the bottom hose through the engine & back through the thermostat and the top hose to go back into radiator to be circulated. I just run a garden hose through top of radiator and bend the top hose so it spits out in another direction and not on you. Do it while the engine is running so the thermostat will open and let everything circulate through. When the water coming out of the top hose is clear it"s fully flushed. turn it off and let all the water drain back out & fill back up with antifreeze or 50/50 mixture. If you're in the north or climate where it gets bitterly cold go ahead and winterize it for wintertime. GOOD LUCK

they sell antifreeze tester at any auto parts store. Got a rubber bulb on top, gauge in the middle, hose on the bottom to suck up the antifreeze into the gauge

they sell antifreeze tester at any auto parts store. Got a rubber bulb on top, gauge in the middle, hose on the bottom to suck up the antifreeze into the gauge
I use the test strips,but found out today they don’t work with orange AF,so i’ll have to get a tester !,thanks well while I got u here the trans fld, is there a drain scheudal ?

I use the test strips,but found out today they don’t work with orange AF,so i’ll have to get a tester !,thanks well while I got u here the trans fld, is there a drain scheudal ?
I usually go by the color and smell of the trans fluid. If it's clear bright red it's usually good and strong. If it's dark in color or has a burnt smell to it it's time to change it. Take the trans pan off and let it tilt a bit on one edge to drain the fluid out. There will be a screen that's bolted on the bottom of the trans. there's usually 2-3 bolts to take out. Replace that also. GOOD LUCK

I usually go by the color and smell of the trans fluid. If it's clear bright red it's usually good and strong. If it's dark in color or has a burnt smell to it it's time to change it. Take the trans pan off and let it tilt a bit on one edge to drain the fluid out. There will be a screen that's bolted on the bottom of the trans. there's usually 2-3 bolts to take out. Replace that also. GOOD LUCK
Is there a place to see the fluid ?

It's usually towards the back drivers side of the engine close to the fire wall

Only thing I can think of is loosening the cooler lines to see color, is there a test strip for tranny fluid ?

Back