Transmission slipping on hills ‘05 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Transmission slipping on hills ‘05

tlfmd
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I bought my ‘05 off the showroom floor. Recently I moved to area with hills. I felt the transmission needed some help with shifting, and have been using the sport transmission mode to keep all smoother, else it would shift frequently between gears. Has anyone else noted this behavior and used that trick?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

By "the sport transmission mode" I assume you refer to the slapshift mode where one pushes lever ahead to go up a gear and pull back to come down a gear?

I use it on occasion when I wish to be in a lower gear than auto mode has it in ... or to control the shifting and stay in a lower gear during hard but not full throttle ... on occasion for slowing down rather than braking ... and for slowing car down on hills etc.

I like it for what it is and use it quite often. The drawback I find is that one had to keep track of gear one is in as it's difficult in most daylight conditions to see the gear # on dash. It usually does revert to 1st upon full stop which is good.

It's nice to hold it in 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd for a while from a stop without matting it and experience the acceleration and let the Borlas bark a bit

If I could easily see the gear it is in I'd probably use it most all the time. I like the concept but often being unable to be sure of the gear I am in takes from it

i agree that shifting is usually too soon at low throttle when left in auto 4 or 5

Last edited:
I had the Chrysler version in my 2001 Sebring (Autostick) and used it frequently while in "hill country" to keep it out of overdrive. Haven't had a need to use it in my '04 - could be due to the beefier V8 vs. the wimpy V6.
(A/C? cough, you mean you want to, sputter, use the A/C AND climb this hill?! Cough, sputter, lug, lug, lug. . .)

04 - use it sparingly - someone once said that brakes are cheaper than motors and xmissions. Having had a few rebuilt, I agree. Computers are smarter than me - let them do the thinking.