Top Hoist | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Top Hoist

• Thread starter Thread starter captjim
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just removed the hardtop from "Kandi" after a few months of driving with the hardtop on and it brought to mind some early posts on the subject.

For the sake of the newer members, I thought I'd mention the availability of hoists to make hardtop removal and replacement an easy one person operation.

There are several manufacturers, but mine is from EZ Top. Go to www.eztop.com for information.

Jim

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Captjim,
In the past have you had the top hanging for months? Was there any deformation of the side rubbers where I assume they rest on a cross bar? And it hooks on the lip at the rear, right?

Quickdraw:

No problem whatsoever when using the EZTop system. There is no contact with the rubber on the hardtop. There are three sheepskin pads about 8 inches in diameter. One is on the outside (top surface) of the top near the forward edge. The other two are inside (the underside of the top) and the arms holding the latter two pads do not contact the rubber. Quite a neat design and really easy to use. I bought the optional electric winch since I am single and don't have anyone around to help with the top.

Hope this answer helps!

Jim

OK, I've seen that top hoist design and wondered if, long term, those two inside pads permanently dent the headliner padding. Anything noticeable?

It sure seems a better design than the ones where the side rubbers bear the weight at two points resting on the cross brace.

Have the eztop. Only used it once. Some earlier comments
were the two interior pad pushed the headliner loose from
the sides. I did not notice this happening.

Keep saying going to take the top off again but never do.
In a few more weeks will be too hot, so maybe next fall.
We have one of the models where the top will not line up
with holes, in fact the pegs have torn both the plastic inserts
out.

A hoist is a must for 1 and even 2 people. Removal
is arkward at points and some have drop the top on
the trunk. So could be a cheap investment compared
to bodywork.

MY 2cents worth

I have a manual EZtop system. Works great. Had the top off from 5/03 till 12/03. Only noticable problem was where nylon bands hook on locking pins, I had some minor rubber deformation on the sides of top. After the top was put back on for a few weeks I was OK. Am going to store it off again soon.
Dennis

Now that tops are coming off, has anyone experienced damage to the deck (scruffing of paint) ? 😕

George:

Since I've been a conscientious reader of this forum since well before I took delivery of "Kandi" I have been aware of the scuffing problem and the use of factory supplied tape. In the two years that I have owned my T-bird (about 23,000 Miles) I have had the top on and off eight or ten times. ( I like convertibles and love the way the car looks with the hardtop on!)

I always use new tape when the top goes on and I have experienced no scuffing whatsoever!

Jim

Cap'tjim: Thanks for the reply. It makes me feel a whole lot better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back