The smell! | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

The smell!

• Thread starter Thread starter pbocciardi
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P
Does anyone enjoy the smell of their new Thunderbird as much as I do? I know that new cars always smell good, but something about the T-Bird's scent makes me euphoric. One of the reasons may be that it transports me back to my dream-fulfilling Route 66 trip last November.

There's nothing like a smell to bring you completely back into an almost-lost world of remembrance.

I imagine that with the hard top off, the smell may dissipate sooner. Rats! I wonder how long it will linger?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Don't know how long yours will last, but I've had the top off three months and a trip to the garage is still an olfactory delight. Didn't someone market new car smell-in-a-can a few years back? Maybe the scent manufacturers will develop essence of Thunderbird to enhance our ownership experience.
smile.gif

biggrin.gif
Bernie, with your order of Zanio, you probably bought the leather treatment stuff. After you put that on, the smell in your garage will be enough that Paula will smell it all the way in SF.
biggrin.gif

Paula,

As long as you keep the leather interior well nurished with good leather conditioner, the smell should last for years.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

My car also smells---no stinks.
The car has a burning oder since new and Ford is unable to fix it and now refuses to keep on trying to even though they admit that it's there.
Lemon law time unfortunatly

That's interesting, since we couldn't find any others with the same problem until now.
Why did you put up with it?(I can't)The
smell is very vulgar and distasteful.
A manufacturer has a contractual warranty obligation to fix an acknowledged problem not to blow off the customer and tell him "to drive it for 5000 miles". I won't put 5000 miles on this car for over for 2 years. Frankly, this Ford field engineer,whose name is Gene Steward, is quite the jerk and, obviously doesn't understand warranty work and customer relations.
As stated in another post, I too old to have this crap in my life so the phone call went out to the lemon law lawyer this morning and I'm considering a side lawsuit for non performance of warranty work and breach of contract.(This is not the dealer's fault. He tried, but the engineer told them not to do any more work and to give the car back to me).

Back to the GOOD smell. Today is the first full day that we have had our car and Dot let me drive it to work. I parked it in my V P's parking spot (lots of room and close to the doors)(and covered). After cleaning 3 little gifts from the Mourning Doves off the roof I moved it up to the 3rd floor/roof parking. Now its out in the sun, but you can smell the leather when you open the door from about 5 feet away from the car. (and no more gifts)
Now everyone wants to go out and smell the car, not just look at it.....
But now I'm heading for home......enough fun for the day. Now we can have some real fun, fun, fun!
George

-

oouuh! that smell!

I have a 2005 T Bird and the air conditioner and heater ducts are molded from the resourvior not draining from air conditioner.which causes a moldy odor any time you use it. I have resigned myself to the fact that FORD wont do anything about it after 6 trips to the dealer and a 'round' with the district zone mnger. His words were if it did stink we couldnt fix it. All you have a car for anyway is to get from point 'a ' to point 'b'. He was riding in a limo. We did get some advice from a dealer my husband found on ebay. He suggested using a OZONE machine and running it for several times an hour duration each time and the bacteria would be killed. We have spoke to someone who does have one and plan on trying that. Those machines run anywhere from $600. to $2400.00. I love my car and wish I could enjoy it as it should be,but I really wish I had that $46,000.00 I spent buying it. And had something else.🙁

I have a lovely scent in me Thunderbird too, Mr pbocciardi! Even when I am inside the house after being out in the bird, I can still smell it! It's nice to see someone here that has something nice to say about these gorgeous cars! I aint coming here anymore because it really depresses me with all the moaners! You are doing a good job of putting me off me lovely car!

Goodbye

Love Roy x

Whoa Roy, don't go.. Yes there are some that have issues but not that many. And don't assume that you'll have the same issues.
Drive it and enjoy it, and stick around!!😎

The cars are great

Roy,

We all moan because the cars are special to us and we are distressed when they are not perfect. We have some problems but we usually get them sorted out by discussing the issues with the members of this forum. Even my doubting Ford dealer has started to pay attention. Don't leave the forum and enjoy the ride. If and when you have problems, this is the best place to find a real solution.

Best of Luck,

Jetbird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back