Sun fading paint | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Sun fading paint

• Thread starter Thread starter Brad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since most people drive the car only part of the year with the hartop on, the assumption would be that the hardtop paint will not fade as much as the car paint.

How long do you think it would take for this to be a factor (if at all)

Is this less of an issue because of new paint additives?

Should I use this as an excuse for my hardtop space storage issues, and bolt my hardtop to the roof of my house in the summer so that it fades evenly?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Brad..Let me know what kind of bolts to buy to secure my hard top to my roof. I took my top off the day I bought my 02 blue bird and have never put it back on. I, like everyone of you, have been waiting for Ford to come out with some kind of solution to avoid damaging the paint when the hard top is put back on. I just have too much fun putting the top down every single chance I get and just don't want to take the chance of scratching up my car with frequent top removals. If I ever do put my hard top on, I very well might have the problem you mention with sun fading, but oh well....I bought the car for fun and that is exactly what I am having!

Julie 😀

P.S. Harry, you got that car out on the road yet?? 😉

Brad,

Bolt your hardtop to the roof of your house and drive your neighbors nuts wondering what kind of satellite TV you have with a dish like that. I wouldn’t think the new paints would fade enough to be noticeable but a body shop paint guy would know for sure. It would have to be way off color to be noticeable between the top & body where the top surface is ~90 degrees to the body. If you talk to a paint guy let us know what he says about fading.

P.S. Julie, hoping for April.

Everyone say a small prayer that April will arrive soon for Harry! If I was that little garaged Thunderbird of his, I would refuse to start on grounds of neglect and missed-use! 😉

Julie 😎

Brad,

I had the Ming Mirror Finish put on my Bird. It is supposed to protect against UV and prevent ozidizing of the paint. Only time will tell how well it works.

trpar,

With the Ming Finish... is that a "lifetime" treatment? You don't need to ever wax again or does it need some kind of refresh from time to time?

Dealer doesn't do this product, it is from Ming Auto Beauty Centers. There is a three year guarantee for the finish. You don't wax, in fact they tell you not to wax it or use carwash soap with wax in it. Says it could dull the finish. In this area it costs $199 to apply the mirror finish and the total New Car Package is $495 including undercoating, leather/vinyl conditioning and carpet treatment. They did a really good job. I have to take it back once a year to have the undercoating inspected to keep up the lifetime warranty. At that time they will reapply the Mirror Finish for 1/3 the cost of the original ($199) and issue a new three year warranty. I think I will opt for reapplying once a year in the Spring and not have to ever wax it myself. Getting lazy in my old age I guess.🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back