1965 Paint Match paint Emberglo Metallic

Mr. Kelly

Mr. Kelly

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Washington State - I need help on finding the exact paint for my 1965 special edition Thunderbird. Body style Landau, two door.. Trim level name special endow codes 63 – V Dash XD – 02C Dash 71 –1–4 body style, two door Landau 63BV Dash exterior paint color 1921 Emberglo Metallic (Dark Copper). (Vin 5Y87Z147670) (Vehicle identification - 63B-V-XD-02–71-1-4. — my question is where can I buy paint that will match the exact color of this Thunderbird Landau. I’m going to have the whole car repainted but I cannot find an exact match. Can anybody out there help me?

Attachments

• 9463EDA9-9C68-42F9-A040-D63D9BACA9E0.jpeg
    9463EDA9-9C68-42F9-A040-D63D9BACA9E0.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 7
Since you have the paint codes look up a local body shop supply. In Tacoma there's a place called Laquer distributors, they did a lot of custom paint matching there.

Have you looked for a local automotive paint supplier? Visit at least a couple of them if you can. With any luck they may have paint chip sample books that far back.

A bigger problem... most older paints were often made with ingredients that are no longer legal to make or use. Modern ingredients would have to be mixed to re-create the color you have.
Most larger automotive paint suppliers have a paint spectrometer, a device that reads the existing paint on the car (pick an unfaded spot) and can create a color formula that's close and can be adjusted to match.

I have the same problem with a '57 that's an uncommon factory color. I have the paint codes and color chip samples but they don't really help. The paint shop will still have to custom mix a matching color with the ingredients they have available.

Here's two screenshots of Emberglo, from this link...
Screenshot - Emberglo 1965 Ford Thunderbird - Paint Cross Reference.jpgScreenshot - Emberglo 1966 Mustang.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back