Sniper EFI carb conversion 390 1963 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Sniper EFI carb conversion 390 1963

• Thread starter Thread starter HKelly
  • Start date Start date
HKelly
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone have experience with changing out a carb on a 390 motor with a sniper carb? Was considering doing this and just wondering if anyone here has one.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

How do you like it and yes that’s what I meant I don’t know all the technical stuff. What type of problems have you had if any?

How do you like it and yes that’s what I meant I don’t know all the technical stuff. What type of problems have you had if any?
I started off with a sniper a few years back on my own car ran great for a while then the ECU starting giving me problems. On the sniper the ecu is mounted and the unit itself and it's exposed to a lot of heat which damages the ecu over time I also had the same problem on some customers cars with the sniper even with using a carb spacer to help cut down the heat transfer. I removed the sniper on my t bird almost 3 years ago and installed a holley terminator which I mounted the ecu under the dash on the passenger side. I have had no issues with it since installing it and the car runs and starts like a modern car. I do notice it uses less fuel then a carb if tuned right with more power. If you go EFI do yourself a big favor and install a in tank fuel pump they run cooler are very quiet and last longer yes it's more work but well worth it in the long run. You can also use a return less fuel system so you only have one line going to the throttle body by using a internal regulator or external going straight back in the tank. I try and convince people why a Terminator is a much better system then a sniper even though the cost is higher. Another thing I don't like about the sniper is that when you have an issue with the ecu or injectors the whole unit has to go back to holley no replacement ecu is for sale or injectors. The terminator uses GM sensors and a Dodge IAC motor and those parts can be bought easy at any parts store.
Hope this helps.

Joe

Been looking at them. I don’t have high horse power or due I want it. Love cars with that shoot, don’t want to drive it. Seems what I found was for high horses not the 390

Been looking at them. I don’t have high horse power or due I want it. Love cars with that shoot, don’t want to drive it. Seems what I found was for high horses not the 390
I have installed a Holley Terminator on a mild 302 .030 over bore and it runs great. Terminator will work good on a 390.

I put a Sniper on my 352 and so far it runs great, but it does take some fine tuning to hit the sweat spot.
Major advantage is being able to set the idle speeds at various engine temps!

Back