Select Shift PRNDL Error | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Select Shift PRNDL Error

• Thread starter Thread starter cursorofold
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
cursorofold

cursorofold

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I have a 2003 T-Bird with select shift. It has a problem with the dash indicator that is supposed to indicate what gear the shifter is in (normally "D5"). After I drive a couple of miles, it switches to an "E".

The local Ford dealer has replaced the instrument cluster and the shifter. They appear to have no real understanding of how the system works.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Does anyone know how this system functions? I know it is not as simple as a cable going from the sensor to the dash. In order for the select shift system to know what gear I am currently in, it must have inputs from the transmission.

I have tried driving in select-shift mode, or just leaving it in drive. Either way, it swtiches to an E after going a mile or two. Aside from the incorrect dash display, the car drives fine.

Related question: Ford has disassembled my dash and my center console more than once, and it now rattles. The aren't done yet, but once they are done, I had planned to ask them to make the rattles go away. Can I reasonably expect them to succeed? Or does taking it apart inherently make it loose and therefore prone to rattle?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

cursorofold said:
I have a 2003 T-Bird with select shift. It has a problem with the dash indicator that is supposed to indicate what gear the shifter is in (normally "D5"). After I drive a couple of miles, it switches to an "E".

The local Ford dealer has replaced the instrument cluster and the shifter. They appear to have no real understanding of how the system works.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Does anyone know how this system functions? I know it is not as simple as a cable going from the sensor to the dash. In order for the select shift system to know what gear I am currently in, it must have inputs from the transmission.

I have tried driving in select-shift mode, or just leaving it in drive. Either way, it swtiches to an E after going a mile or two. Aside from the incorrect dash display, the car drives fine.

Related question: Ford has disassembled my dash and my center console more than once, and it now rattles. The aren't done yet, but once they are done, I had planned to ask them to make the rattles go away. Can I reasonably expect them to succeed? Or does taking it apart inherently make it loose and therefore prone to rattle?

There was a problem with 2003's and the "E" - I understand there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for 03s built from Nov 18, 2002 thru spring 2003 - Error code appears, shifting does not "feel" right and is often described as "harsh").

If they are not done with the dash yet tell them NOW that you have rattles that weren't there before they worked on it and the next time they disassemble it, to fix it.

Shift showing E

I had the same problem. THe computer diagnosed the transmission main control valve and selenoid. It was replaced under warranty with 32411 miles on my 2003 gray bird. It was not a dashboard problem. Have them check your transmission.

Error continued

My car is not a select shift but a regular automatic. Again look towards the transmission not the dash

transmission problem

posted by cursorofold i had the same problam i had an e show up on mine to .ther is something wrong with your valve body thats what the dealer told me .they fixed it and never seen it again.you ownes manual goes over that in transmission section. hope this helps dennis

Do read your book carefully. I believe there is an 'E' and a flashing 'E'. One of those says you are not to drive it, but call for service. The other says bring it in for service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back