Rooftop Installation Scratches | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Rooftop Installation Scratches

• Thread starter Thread starter pjjafco
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

Well I discovered that once I took off my hardtop I could see where there were small scratches from when it was previoiusly uninstalled/installed/etc..It looked like there weren't any protective strips applied even though included.
I took it back to the dealer and, since the scratches were so small, was told I had two options. Repaint or just live with it. I was advised not to buff it since it could damage the clearcoat.
I don't feel comfortable with a re-paint for fear of notacability and diminished car value. The scratches aren't that noticable until you're right on top of them. But it's a new car, and ANY blemish is a bummer, right? If re-painting isn't an option for me, do any of you have any suggestions. A black car is unforgiving, but this is unacceptable. Thanks for any response. -pj

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

pjjafco said:
Hi Everyone,

Well I discovered that once I took off my hardtop I could see where there were small scratches from when it was previoiusly uninstalled/installed/etc..It looked like there weren't any protective strips applied even though included.
I took it back to the dealer and, since the scratches were so small, was told I had two options. Repaint or just live with it. I was advised not to buff it since it could damage the clearcoat.
I don't feel comfortable with a re-paint for fear of notacability and diminished car value. The scratches aren't that noticable until you're right on top of them. But it's a new car, and ANY blemish is a bummer, right? If re-painting isn't an option for me, do any of you have any suggestions. A black car is unforgiving, but this is unacceptable. Thanks for any response. -pj

pjjafco
Is it SCRATCHED or just a dulling of the clearcoat? If it's not deep most people are able to rub it out somehow but I don't know what they use... did you talk to the Ford dealers body shop (not service dept) to see if they could rub it out? If they can, go back to service, and say you want it rubbed out at their expense.

Last edited by a moderator:
PJ:
I had the same issue back in '02 - Took it back and told the body shop to fix it. I don't know what they did but it was fixed and not re-painted. Paper work said "buffed out"
Maybe they rubbed it and then re-clearcoated it (if there is such a thing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back