1956 T Bird Horn is always on

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey guys, first time poster. What a wonderful resource! My car had the horn button under the dash. At some point the previous owner moved it there. I am just wrapping up re-wiring my baby bird and so in order to make things right, I took the switch under the dash out. However, when I go to reinstall my horn ring, the horn sounds. Without pushing on it, just re-insyalling the ring. I was thinking maybe I am missing a part... Any other ideas? Anybody have a blown up assembly diagram of the horn for a '56? Thank you all!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Remove your horn ring and take a picture of the steering wheel center and post it. This will help us help you.
Welcome to the club.
We all just like pictures of baby birds.

CSPIDY here ya go... maybe an insulator? But even then there are 2 different kinds. One is cut out in the middle, the other looks like a solid puck.

60314669913__AA1B7FEC-7130-456F-B9E8-BD8114E25E02.JPEG60314673161__8C288547-6502-4C7E-B68D-609272F9446F.JPEG

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be a spring in the center. I took a picture of mine, I also included a picture of the top of 5he steering column.

8EB32D03-37E7-4F3D-87CF-A6B6D0CBBACF.jpeg70092E9C-9D1E-45B5-8A07-8792AD59596D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the old wire doesn't have a spring or grounds out, the horn will sound

Hey guys, first time poster. What a wonderful resource! My car had the horn button under the dash. At some point the previous owner moved it there. I am just wrapping up re-wiring my baby bird and so in order to make things right, I took the switch under the dash out. However, when I go to reinstall my horn ring, the horn sounds. Without pushing on it, just re-insyalling the ring. I was thinking maybe I am missing a part... Any other ideas? Anybody have a blown up assembly diagram of the horn for a '56? Thank you all!
From what I have done in the past, when you apply the horn to make it sound you connect the earth. The live is direct to the horn. The earth wire ran up the centre of the steering column. Connected to the horn button and when pressed completed the circuit.

When you press on the horn button you complete the ground circuit to the control side of the horn relay. The magnetic coil inside the horn relay is then energized closing the contacts inside the horn relay allowing current to flow to the horns. The horns ground where they mount to the body.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back