Replace motor | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Replace motor

• Thread starter Thread starter jtharaldso
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone heard of anyone replacing the 3.9 with say a 302? I would love to do this hopefully making the car more dependable, and a engine you can get parts for.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Has anyone heard of anyone replacing the 3.9 with say a 302? I would love to do this hopefully making the car more dependable, and a engine you can get parts for.

Don't know of anyone who has attempted a task like this since almost everything is computer controlled. Ford Motor and their vast engineering dept had a nightmare trying to get the electronics on the 3.9 Jag engine running for the supercharged prototype and that was the same basic block that we have in the car standard. The Jag and Tbird used different computer systems and they had to develop software so the two systems could communicate with each other.

The 3.9 engine is very dependable (well except for the COPS issue) and should outlast the car body.

Replace the 3.9 with 302 ????

I have been on this web site for a couple years now, and continue to be amazed on how infrequently engine problems are posted. My 03' has 32,000 care free miles on it, gets 22 mpg city driving, and is scary fast. Replacing the 3.9 with an obsolete engine ?????.😕

Well I'm seeing complaints of over heating, smoking, the coils, pcm's, and thats just on the first page, and all low miliage by todays engine standards.But if you want to believe these are great automobiles thats your right!!

Thats true, just picked up, this is the wifes car, she had to have it, from the dealer,after 5 weeks today. Luckly this is her weekend driver, or we would have been in deep you know what. But they did get it running, and detailed it from top to bottom, the new PCM, and new battery, at know cost to me.😛 But what I didn't mention about that engine replacement,I was talking a create eng, with 430hp, and make a real sleeper out of it. But I do agree with the person above, it is fast now, I just don't trust it.

every facet of the car operates from the engine computer, thats trans., air conditioner, etc. so one would have to change the trans. too. i seriously doubt the rear end gears would hold up under 450 hp, so theres another swap. over time, the torque from that hp would probably rip out the motor supports, since the car only is designed for 240. the engine i fantasised changing to is the old mustang 289, which delivers no more than the 3.9, and is to this date still one of the best engines ford ever built, that and the cruisamatic transmission from that era would make the car i want.
not intendung to be critical of the thought you had, as i'm sure we all have thought along those lines. i know i have anyway. i wish somebody would actuall follow through and make some changes and let us know how it works out.

Where's the economy in what you suggest? Cost vs. benefit analysis suggests that the cost of such a change would far outweigh the benefit, especially when you consider the depreciated value of the car.

Being from California I can tell you that doing an engine swap in a newer car with an engine that was not originally offered will cause you grief come smog time. Suffice to say you should do your research on your local emissions laws before attempting such a swap.

again, nobody is suggesting (or planning) anything. and i believe several caviats have already been mentioned. as far as engine swapping is concerned, its been going on since somebody put a flathead 8 into a model A, and will continue. just watch barret-jackson and see how many cars have had engine swaps. is it economical or practical? depends on the depth of the pockets. jay leno said of himself that he could be the posterchild for "more money than sense".

02 Swap

I have an 02 and want to swap as well and convert to a stick shift. Been studing the possibilities and the biggest problem is the limited space between the strut towers. I think a Mustang 4.6 3 valve will fit but will be a very tight fit. My 2002 is a dog and really needs a lot more power. I love the engine design but it just is not big enough to do the job. For me the other option is put in a later model 3.9 with variable valve timing and try to soup it up. Any other ideas?

I have an 02 and want to swap as well and convert to a stick shift. Been studing the possibilities and the biggest problem is the limited space between the strut towers. I think a Mustang 4.6 3 valve will fit but will be a very tight fit. My 2002 is a dog and really needs a lot more power. I love the engine design but it just is not big enough to do the job. For me the other option is put in a later model 3.9 with variable valve timing and try to soup it up. Any other ideas?

Other ideas? Yes, save yourself lots of grief and sell the '02 Tbird and use the money to buy later Tbird or other faster car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back