remove front coil spring/ball joint 1960 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

remove front coil spring/ball joint 1960

• Thread starter Thread starter vermbird
  • Start date Start date
vermbird
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
tried to remove the coil spring front on my 1960. got it jacked up sway bar off, shock out. cannot get the lower bll joint to budge so i can lower the lower control arm and let spring out. my modern ball joint tool wont work. the shop manual calls for a special tool #T57P-3006-A it expands as you tighten a nut and then preesses on th stud of the upper balljoint and stud of the lower ball joint, freeing it as you whack it with a hammer. anyone have other ideas? the car is up on jack stands in my driveway. i dont want to dive up and take it to a shop.
20210410_181616.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

tried to remove the coil spring frontthe least favorite choice is a pickle fork on my 1960. got it jacked up sway bar off, shock out. cannot get the lower bll joint to budge so i can lower the lower control arm and let spring out. my modern ball joint tool wont work. the shop manual calls for a special tool #T57P-3006-A it expands as you tighten a nut and then preesses on th stud of the upper balljoint and stud of the lower ball joint, freeing it as you whack it with a hammer. anyone have other ideas? the car is up on jack stands in my driveway. i dont want to dive up and take it to a shop. Pix enclosed

there are a couple of "modern" ball joint tools which I have found to work when needed. Fortunately I have a reproduction of the Ford tool that I got about 20 years ago from a Mustang supplier. There is the tool of last resort; a pickle fork. The PF works but usually destroys the seal for the ball joint. It might help to know what the tool you have been using is.

One more idea: have you tried the two hammer approach: simultaneously hitting the sides of ball joint mounting? I hope you are aware that when the ball joint release and the spring pressure is released it can get dicey if you. have not restrained the spring,

made the ball joint breaker tool as shown on this website from July 2019, SWinner posted. worked well. see my post just now. got the springs out, cut them down, no damage to ball joints. used a floor jack to lower the control arm slowly after ball joint popped. used my torch and the tool and a dead blow hammer to pop the lower ball joint.. worked out well. satisfied.

made the ball joint breaker tool as shown on this website from July 2019, SWinner posted. worked well. see my post just now. got the springs out, cut them down, no damage to ball joints. used a floor jack to lower the control arm slowly after ball joint popped. used my torch and the tool and a dead blow hammer to pop the lower ball joint.. worked out well. satisfied.
Can anyone direct me to the "Ball joint breaker tool" mentioned in this post. I want to make one. Many thanks.

Back