1956 lower ball joint removal

RichW
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of rebuilding the front suspension on my ‘56 and am having a lot of trouble with removing the lower ball joint from the wheel spindle. I have loosened the nut flush with the top of the thread and hit the spindle to loosen the ball joint. I then used a fork and still no luck. Soaked it in lubricant before this. I attached my scissor type splitters and I tightened it so much it broke it. Still no movement. At my wits end now. I know they are hard to remove but this seems crazy. Anyone else experienced this and have another solution?

Thanks in advance

Changed subject from
1956 lower ball joints
To
1956 lower ball joint removal

Put the joint under tension, either with a press or fork, and whack the spindle with a hammer a few times. If that doesn't do the job get out your torch and heat it up, still under tension, the expansion should break it loose.

Hey Rich, I've made a tool for breaking loose ball joints on most cars and trucks and you can buy at home depot or any hardware. Get a 3/4" bolt about 3 1/5" inches long and a 3/4" connector nut. We are going to use this to fit between the bolt end of the upper and lower ball joints.

First drill a dimple in the head (end) of the bolt. This will allow upper ball joint bolt to fit into the dimple of the bolt. The connector will fit over the lower ball joint bolt.
Apply a liberal amount of anti seize or grease to the threads of the bolt.
Screw the connector nut onto the bolt.
Loosen the lower ball joint nut a few turns, but do not remove.
Place the bolt and connector nut between the upper and lower ball joint.
Unscrew the connector nut to expand the overall length.
Get 2 big open end wrenches and turn to unscrew (expand) the connector nut.

This will press the lower ball joint from the spindle.
If you are going to remove the upper, leave the tool in place, loosen the upper nut a few turns and keep expanding the tool. Once it breaks loose, you can remove the tool.

Here is the one that I made many years ago.

20190719_202025.jpg 20190719_202011.jpg 20190719_202035.jpg
This tool will break loose most vehicles with upper and lower ball joints.

Good luck and be careful of the spring,
Steve

Last edited:
Hey Rich, I've made a tool for breaking loose ball joints on most cars and trucks and you can buy at home depot or any hardware. Get a 3/4" bolt about 3 1/5" inches long and a 3/4" connector nut. We are going to use this to fit between the bolt end of the upper and lower ball joints.

First drill a dimple in the head (end) of the bolt. This will allow upper ball joint bolt to fit into the dimple of the bolt. The connector will fit over the lower ball joint bolt.
Apply a liberal amount of anti seize or grease to the threads of the bolt.
Screw the connector nut onto the bolt.
Loosen the lower ball joint nut a few turns, but do not remove.
Place the bolt and connector nut between the upper and lower ball joint.
Unscrew the connector nut to expand the overall length.
Get 2 big open end wrenches and turn to unscrew (expand) the connector nut.

This will press the lower ball joint from the spindle.
If you are going to remove the upper, leave the tool in place, loosen the upper nut a few turns and keep expanding the tool. Once it breaks loose, you can remove the tool.

Here is the one that I made many years ago.

View attachment 4433 View attachment 4432 View attachment 4434
This tool will break loose most vehicles with upper and lower ball joints.

Good luck and be careful of the spring,
Steve
Hi Steve, thanks for that. It looks very similar to the type of tool that is in the Ford 1956 workshop manual. Very easy to make as well. I’ll give it a go. Thanks for the word on the spring. I’ve got it chained to the spring

Put the joint under tension, either with a press or fork, and whack the spindle with a hammer a few times. If that doesn't do the job get out your torch and heat it up, still under tension, the expansion should break it loose.
Hi Wilding, thanks for the advice. Are you heating the wheel spindle or the ball joint bolt?

Guys, thanks for your help. Got it now, loads of heat and the scissor ball joint splitter eventually got it off.

thanks to S winner. i made the tool as above. used it on my 1960 bird. the 3/4" coupling nut and bolt worked ok, altho prob can use a 5/8" bolt/nut ot maybe even a 1/2" system. i had to take out the large upper bolt that holds the backing plate on for better access. once I put tension on the system, a little pb blaster and then the coup-de-etat, heated with my MAPP gas torch. a few blows from a dead-blow hammer and the ball joint popped loose. no damage to the ball joints. total cost $3+ at Home depot. a great tool, did the job. got the springs out, cut off about 3/4" which should lower the cart 1 1/2". put it back together. about a 2 hour job for an average DIY'er.

Back