Upper rear control arm replace, 2003 Thunderbird

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Didn't fix my rattle in the trunk but tightened her up appreciably. Probably every T bird needs this by now as it seems the factory bushings are quick to rot. Control arm is Dorman, $125 free delivery on Amazon. Mevotec are same price and also available on amazon, shop by sales i suppose.

Set the E brake, chock wheels, jack up Drivers rear, remove wheel. Use jack stand, you'll need your jack to raise and lower the spindle to find the "easy" spots that allow the bolts to back out of the bushings and to allow easy reinsertion of the ball joint stud.

All hand tools. No rust southern car, so easy. Torques can all be broken and applied with hand tools, I don't think breaking torque on the bushings exceeded 50 ft lbs and i Re torqued to 60 ft lbs which is max for 1/2" grade 5 hardware.

Easy job, about one hour total.

Purchase Links From Moderator-
Control Arm with Ball Joints- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...-ball-joint-mcsoe38-mcsoe39-motorcraft.10086/

Sway Bars and Tie Rod Ends- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...-sway-bars-tie-rods-2002-2003-2004-2005.9490/

Boot Covers- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...2004-2005-ford-thunderbird-boot-covers.10945/

20200812_123216.jpg

Remove the sway bar link for easier access to the ball joint nut.

20200812_123231.jpg

Remove the anti lock brake line and place it out of the way.

20200812_123537.jpg

Loosen the bushing nuts, loosen the ball joint nut. Put the jack under the spindle with slight tension. I found with the strut left in place the entire job can be done with the suspension hanging but used the jack for safety and to raise/lower the spindle until I decided the upper arm would not go flying up or the lower down as I backed off the ball joint nut.

20200812_123702.jpg

20200812_123249.jpg

Take the old control arm out of place, suspension is now hanging, strut remains installed.

20200812_124827.jpg

Short video showing worn ball joint and very worn upper rear bushing.

Install new dorman control arm. Snug it all up.

Note. Torque the ball joint nut first. Leave the control arm bushing nuts a bit over hand tight. To prevent undue and rapid bushing wear, torque the bushing nuts with the spindle set at or close to ride height. i.e. use the jack to load weight onto your spindle. When the spindle is about centered or slightly less in the wheel well (do this by eye) reach in and without knocking the car off the stands or getting body parts under the loaded suspension, tighten and final torque the bushing nuts.

Assemble wheel, remove stands, lower car, tighten lugs, clean up and go ride.

20200812_130727.jpg

Easy Peesy, well, at least this side was. Off to the passenger side next. Remember, don't get body parts above or below control arms/springs, etc when working them. If they have stored energy, they can go flying as nuts and bolts are removed. Upper rears are not bad, between hanging and some slight up and down movement there will be a spot where it all comes undone by hand. Use caution. Have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Very kind of you to take your time to detail this replacement project! Thank you! Please tell us what the symptom was that caused you to need to replace the control arm. Thanks in advance.

Rotted bushings. the old time test of prying on the bushing with a bar indicated all the bushings were good. In seeking an annoying rattle from that side of the car, I decided the visibly rotted bushings were the culprit. They turned out not to be the source of the noise but.....

Since the crow bar test falsely indicated the bushings were good, and disassembly showed one bad bushing and one worn ball joint, I'm happy to have replaced it.

I have never seen such piss poor rubber in bushings in all my life, if this is typical of all Lincoln and ford bushings, I'd opine that every 02 to -5 Thunderbird on the road today has at least one or more failed bushings and should be overhauled! I have had 50 year old chevies with better rubber than this 17 year old ford. Prolly will see me rip out all the old over the next months and put in all new. It shouldn't be worn out at 17 years and 74k miles but there you go......assuming it should be in better shape!!!!

I had mine do by my mechanic he got me a little break and after 2 years the ride is still at stock level and had him install my Borla Exhaust, and sound great step on it and you think you at the drag strip , love the sound

Replaced all of my suspensions on my two T Birds a little more than a year ago. Made knocking and creaking noise over bumps.

Upon inspection the rubber bushings were badly rotted. My cars always garaged, and only 12k miles, and 13k miles. Age got
them, along with poor quality.

Rotted bushings. the old time test of prying on the bushing with a bar indicated all the bushings were good. In seeking an annoying rattle from that side of the car, I decided the visibly rotted bushings were the culprit. They turned out not to be the source of the noise but.....

Since the crow bar test falsely indicated the bushings were good, and disassembly showed one bad bushing and one worn ball joint, I'm happy to have replaced it.

I have never seen such piss poor rubber in bushings in all my life, if this is typical of all Lincoln and ford bushings, I'd opine that every 02 to -5 Thunderbird on the road today has at least one or more failed bushings and should be overhauled! I have had 50 year old chevies with better rubber than this 17 year old ford. Prolly will see me rip out all the old over the next months and put in all new. It shouldn't be worn out at 17 years and 74k miles but there you go......assuming it should be in better shape!!!!
Amen to all your statements.
Had an 05 PT Cruiser with 220,000 miles on it and still rode great when I sold it.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: rdj
Didn't fix my rattle in the trunk

I had a rattle in the trunk area and also thought it was suspension related. Finally found it... It was the package shelf, some call it the rear window shelf panel. It it attached to the Hard Top with 8 push pins from the under side. Hard Top will need removed to access. Most of mine were missing. Ford had the part. Something to check.

Last edited:
As I had posted previously, my 2004 with 60,000 miles had bad rubber boots but good bushings/ball joints within. My ASE certified mechanic simply replaced the boots and re-greased and all is well. (and yes, thank you thank you for taking the time to take and post the pictures!)

I had a rattle in the trunk area and also thought it was suspension related. Finally found it... It was the package shelf, some call it the rear window shelf panel. It it attached to the Hard Top with 8 push pins from the under side. Hard Top will need removed to access. Most of mine were missing. Ford had the part. Something to check.

Mine has same noise with hard top off and soft top up or down. Next to check lower control arm and ds rear strut.

Thanks for the good info.
If I don't get a newer car (the wife wants a newer car) the control arms and struts will need to be replaced, 17 years old, 66,000 miles.

I just replaced the struts on my 2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe and put new Cont. Tires on and it rides and drive like new.

As I had posted previously, my 2004 with 60,000 miles had bad rubber boots but good bushings/ball joints within. My ASE certified mechanic simply replaced the boots and re-greased and all is well. (and yes, thank you thank you for taking the time to take and post the pictures!)
We’re did he get the boots ??

I agree my 02 had a bad bushing on the top and bottom. Only has 90,000 miles on it. Already replaced the upper, waiting on lowers to arrive. Was a Texas car, now kept in a full enclosed car port in Arkansas so no rust. Have an 79 Elcamino and the bushings are not rotten.

Didn't fix my rattle in the trunk but tightened her up appreciably. Probably every T bird needs this by now as it seems the factory bushings are quick to rot. Control arm is Dorman, $125 free delivery on Amazon. Mevotec are same price and also available on amazon, shop by sales i suppose.

Set the E brake, chock wheels, jack up Drivers rear, remove wheel. Use jack stand, you'll need your jack to raise and lower the spindle to find the "easy" spots that allow the bolts to back out of the bushings and to allow easy reinsertion of the ball joint stud.

All hand tools. No rust southern car, so easy. Torques can all be broken and applied with hand tools, I don't think breaking torque on the bushings exceeded 50 ft lbs and i Re torqued to 60 ft lbs which is max for 1/2" grade 5 hardware.

Easy job, about one hour total.

Purchase Links From Moderator-
Control Arm with Ball Joints- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...-ball-joint-mcsoe38-mcsoe39-motorcraft.10086/

Sway Bars and Tie Rod Ends- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...-sway-bars-tie-rods-2002-2003-2004-2005.9490/

Boot Covers- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...2004-2005-ford-thunderbird-boot-covers.10945/

View attachment 12988

Remove the sway bar link for easier access to the ball joint nut.

View attachment 12989

Remove the anti lock brake line and place it out of the way.

View attachment 12991

Loosen the bushing nuts, loosen the ball joint nut. Put the jack under the spindle with slight tension. I found with the strut left in place the entire job can be done with the suspension hanging but used the jack for safety and to raise/lower the spindle until I decided the upper arm would not go flying up or the lower down as I backed off the ball joint nut.

View attachment 12992

View attachment 12990

Take the old control arm out of place, suspension is now hanging, strut remains installed.

View attachment 12986

Short video showing worn ball joint and very worn upper rear bushing.

Install new dorman control arm. Snug it all up.

Note. Torque the ball joint nut first. Leave the control arm bushing nuts a bit over hand tight. To prevent undue and rapid bushing wear, torque the bushing nuts with the spindle set at or close to ride height. i.e. use the jack to load weight onto your spindle. When the spindle is about centered or slightly less in the wheel well (do this by eye) reach in and without knocking the car off the stands or getting body parts under the loaded suspension, tighten and final torque the bushing nuts.

Assemble wheel, remove stands, lower car, tighten lugs, clean up and go ride.

View attachment 12987

Easy Peesy, well, at least this side was. Off to the passenger side next. Remember, don't get body parts above or below control arms/springs, etc when working them. If they have stored energy, they can go flying as nuts and bolts are removed. Upper rears are not bad, between hanging and some slight up and down movement there will be a spot where it all comes undone by hand. Use caution. Have fun.
Unfortunately what ever compound used is terrible, 2 cars every bushing , and suspension rubber used has deteriorated both cars had less than 23k miles and at 18 years every thing needs replacing don’t forget the rear subframe bushings. I bet everyone feels really safe using the 18 year old brake lines and coolant hoses I bet most of you are still driving on.

New owner of 2003 TBird, and am getting caught up on deferred maintenance. I have a pretty specific question regarding the rear lower control arms. There are 3 bushings on the rear lower arm and two of them were in very poor condition (hub and rear). I looked for loaded lower control arms first, thinking that would be easier. I can find 2003 lower rear control arms (not as cheap as the uppers!) but all the ones on EBay, Amazon, RockAuto are qualified with the statement "through 11/18/2002" (some say 11/17/2002). In any case my 2003 was made after that. On Moog's website they show a rear lower control arm for 2003 - 2005 but the price is CRAZY high. As a result I went the bushing replacement route and am suffering through that as we speak. Can anyone shed any light on what changed after 11/17/2002 regarding the rear lower control arms, confirm that the earlier ones are or are not compatible with 2003 - 2005 TBirds, and also your thoughts on whether bushing replacement in the existing arm is the way to go.

Thanks for any help or insight.
JohnG

Back