Putting top down | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Putting top down

• Thread starter Thread starter yrbamje
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yrbamje

Reaction score
My wife has another problem with her 05 vehicle. Every time she lowers the top, the dang thing stics part way down (up?). She has to push it with her hand for the top to retract all the way. I hadn't had the problem until yesterday.
And it seems to be getting worse. It doesn't stick coming bac up.
I assume it's the motor, but if so, why not both directions?
Thanks in advance.
Jim

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Jim:
First I have heard of this. Since it's an '05 I'd get it into the dealership ASAP. Sounds like +one motors working different than the other.
Also, the value of getting a written service order is, that your complaint is formally registered. Please keep us appraised.

George,
We have the extended warranty, and only 32K miles, so we are in good shape there.
However, I am going to take it in and see what they say.
I do want it "all wrote down".
I'll keep all posted.
Jim

Jim:
I did some research from other TBird owners and don't get scared but here are their written comments:
Twice lately my top has stuck while lowering. It is in a nearly vertical position when it happens. I gave it a little push back and it continued down all the way. Today it happened and I kept pushing the switch and it finally "popped" and folded down. My top has always been a little "jerky" going down, but never failed me. I just figured the "jerkiness" was just a quirk or even something errant in the design (as much as we like our 'Birds we know they have faults) The top raises okay. My car-with 17K miles
Another guy:
A friend had a problem with the top not going down on her '02 bird. Had to have the motor replaced after warranty. $700 plus. The dealership and Ford Motor Co. agreed that the motor should not have gone out. She was refunded over $500

Jim:
Glad you have the extended warranty. Here are some more comments from others:

This morning I was visiting friends at a top shop & they told me I had just missed a Bird with a messed up top frame. One of the problem was jerky top. They adjusted the top frame on the passenger side.

Jim, good luck and keep us posted

As usual, there is always someone out there that has had similiar experiences.
I'll see what the problem is when I take it to the dealer.
I had thought that there might be a kink in the top somewhere, say like a strut bent or something. However, a quick look didn't tell me anything.
Gotta go to FORD. Which is really alright. The FORD dealer's service department has been really good about taking care of us.
I'll stay in touch.
Jim

Jim: Did this ever get resolved for you?

putting top down problem

George,
I thought that I had written about the resolution, but I think it was in conjunction with the turn signal problem.
The car was at the dealer's to do both things. I've already delivered the low-down on the turn signal.
With respect to the top problem, apparently there is a second gear-type apparatus that lends an assist to the main motor that moves the top up and down. The second motor needed a little lubrication and now it works.
I have yet to get the report for this last trip, but I did find from the first trip for the turn signal information. I think I included this part number, etc, in my last message wrt the turn signal problem.
Take care.
Jim

Thanks Jim, and I received your PM as well. I went back to your turn signal thread and found your posting.😎
Since the title of this thread signifies 'putting the top down/problems' I hope you don't mind that I copy your info from the other thread onto this one, just in case some day someone is looking to resolve a similar problem. All the data will be here:

"The top retraction was fixed quite quickly. It seems that there is an extra gadget, in addition to the motors that drive the retraction, that sort of "kicks" the top and helps it retract smoothly. This gadget needing adjusting. This is why we had to "kick" it to complete the retraction.
They adjusted it, oiled (greased?) it and it works perfectly.
So, everyone can add this little episode to their collection of "what to do when it happens to you." Jim"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back