Problem/Problem Resolution Listing

• Thread starter RTBRD_aka_jodrod
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this as a topic, but no response.
There is something loose in the bracket that houses the windshield washer squirters or could be a loose windshield wiper arm/blade, but at exactly 80MPH the vibration sounding it is on the windshield causes a buzzing. The bottom windshield rubber gasket is not tight, but we put cardboard under it and did not solve the problem. Wnen I get back from Richmond, I will deal with it. I am taking this car, buzzing or not. I will most likely drive slower if I do not get run over on I95

Chqrley

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Vin # 101532

Incident Date: Upon Delivery

Mileage: 32 miles

Problem: Foglights not working

Resolution: Dealer checked fuses, connections, shop computer, and called the factory. No one had an answer. Two months later I took it back and they pulled all the shrouds around the engine and found a connection under the engine that had never been connected. Problem solved !

Cost: Under warranty. N/C

Lon,

Is there a way to find out what torque rating the cross bracing should have, and is this something that needs to be checked periodically? I've noticed whenever I take the 'bird out lately the cowl shake is quite pronounced. I don't remember it being this evident during the Thunderbird Mystery Tour last year.

Thanks,
KB

rolleyes.gif
Lon I checked my X bracing over the weekend and found much the same thing you did although I have about 3,700 miles on mine. I got 1/8 to 1/2 turn out of the 1/2" bolts. It would be nice,like T02Bird said, to be able to get the torque specs. for these bolts so we know they are right. Seems like someone out there should be able to get these. I don't know if the dealers would have these or not or if they would even give them to you if they do have them. I guess we need some help on this one.
eek.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

I went to the dealer and we put mine up on a hoist, the kind that keeps the wheels on the track. I only found one bolt that took about 1/4 turn, the others were either VERY tight or took a slight turn. However, when I drove off, I immediately felt a huge difference. The steering thas much tighter and the cowl shake was all but gone. It would seem that this is should be a required service item for all cars when they go in for an oil change or for other service. By the way, I checked the center x-brace as well as the front one. The one loose bolt was at the front of the center brace. Remember too that there are bolts in the middle of each brace, I think they go to the transmissioon and engine. These should be checked as well as the outer bolts.

-

wink.gif
DavidA I checked both X braces on mine and the center bolts but it would still be nice to have the torque specs. on these.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

Originally posted by Red Roadster:
Anybody:

What are the symptoms of "cowl shake"???

After you take your hard top off you will see what we are talking about. When you hit some bumps in the road or railroad tracks you WILL fell a differance in the way the car feels. I'm not sure how to describe it but you will feel a differance.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

I TOOK MY BIRD IN TODAY FOR AN OIL LEAK AND COWL SHAKE. THEY REPLACED THE OIL FILTER, SAYING THE LEAK WAS FROM A FAULTY SEAL. (THE FILTER HAD 2000 MILES ON IT). THEY TIGHTENED THE CROSSMEMBERS AND THAT STOPPED THE COWL SHAKE. HAPPY MOTORING 02TBIRD

Originally posted by Gobird:
After you take your hard top off you will see what we are talking about. When you hit some bumps in the road or railroad tracks you WILL fell a differance in the way the car feels. I'm not sure how to describe it but you will feel a differance.

Thanks Gobird . . . just to be sure, I'll get the X braces checked the next time I'm in for an oil change.

VIN: 110738

Incident Date: April 2002 to May 15, 2002

Mileage: 3500

Problem: Driver's side wind noise from the seal between the door window and the soft top weatherstripping.

Symptoms: Wind noise above 40 mph. Definite breeze in the cabin.

Resolution: Dealer body shop did a combination of things including window adjustment, door adjustment and weatherstip removal and inspection

Cost: Warranty, none

Oh, BTW, I also had the oil changed and it only cost 20 bucks. I know I should have done it myself, but I wanted the dealer to do the first one for my records.

------------------
2002 T-Bird Red/Red/Partial Red
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertible

-

At interstate speeds, over 70 mph, I have had a vibration that is hard to spot. It seems as if it is near the windshield, but outside. My dealer went for a ride with me, and guesses that it is the cowl shrouding the wiper/washers. Replaced yesterday , I will take the car tomorrow and see if this fixed the problem.

Charley
metinsure

Incident date 05/16/02 Mileage: 1600 Problem: Low Fuel indicator light came on and wouldn't go off even tho tank is nearly full. Tried opening and closing gas tank,and shutting off engine. Nothing worked. Anyone have this problem?

------------------
Jim Williams
red/red/std blk premium #2 of 2 VIN 1FAHP60A62Y111592
Mass. tag JWBIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back