please help 2004 merlot

It worked!

Originally, the check engine light came on and I was very reluctant to drive it. Then, I read our Forum and at the same time I’d been reading some good reviews on Amazon about an engine monitor/diagnostic tool called FIXD ( for $59 on Amazon) I got the unit it in two days, plugged it in and a code came up and gave me a clue about the MAF as you’d mentioned, and the possible repair by spraying maf cleaner.

So yesterday, I went to Napa and got the MAF cleaner for about nine bucks, sprayed the MAF, restarted the engine, cleared the check engine light using the FIXD plug in and drove the car last night and today and it appears all’s GOOD! No check engine light! (She seems more peppy too)

When the engine light first came on I was going to not drive it at all til a mechanic could look at it this coming Monday but thanks to the GREAT ADVICE on the TBIRD forum and the FIXD diagnostic tool, I’m sure I’ve saved a lot of dough! THANKS AGAIN!!

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It worked!

I read our Forum and at the same time I’d been reading some good reviews on Amazon about an engine monitor/diagnostic tool called FIXD ( for $59 on Amazon) I got the unit it in two days, plugged it in and a code came up and gave me a clue about the MAF as you’d mentioned, and the possible repair by spraying maf cleaner. . . .

. . . . . . . . and the FIXD diagnostic tool, I’m sure I’ve saved a lot of dough! THANKS AGAIN!!

Words of wisdom for anybody NOT owning an OBD Scanner:
Anybody that owns a 1996 or newer car should own an OBD II handheld or one of the WiFi or Bluetooth OBD II Dongles that can talk to a tablet, smart phone, or laptop! The $60 or less (Dongles as low as $12) investment will more then pay for itself the first time you don't have to take your vehicle to a mechanic or dealership!

Plus no more panic when the CEL (check engine light) illuminates as 15% of the codes one should immediately stop driving 50% you are OK to drive another 100 miles and 25% of the codes you ignore until your next scheduled maintenance and 10% you can completely ignore BUT you need an OBD II Scanner to turn it off. They should have passed a law that codes that one should immediately pull over and stop driving produce a big RED CEL or illuminated a different warning light!

Words of wisdom for anybody NOT owning an OBD Scanner:
Anybody that owns a 1996 or newer car should own an OBD II handheld or one of the WiFi or Bluetooth OBD II Dongles that can talk to a tablet, smart phone, or laptop! The $60 or less (Dongles as low as $12) investment will more then pay for itself the first time you don't have to take your vehicle to a mechanic or dealership!

Plus no more panic when the CEL (check engine light) illuminates as 15% of the codes one should immediately stop driving 50% you are OK to drive another 100 miles and 25% of the codes you ignore until your next scheduled maintenance and 10% you can completely ignore BUT you need an OBD II Scanner to turn it off. They should have passed a law that codes that one should immediately pull over and stop driving produce a big RED CEL or illuminated a different warning light!

Yeah, man I agree completely. I should have acquired my FIXD scanner years ago.
I do need to inform our forum members of a recent experience I had re: sending in a
FEM to Automotive Modules.
Not a good experience.
But in fairness I can’t go into further details till it all shakes out with Paypal around the 15th of the month.

Back