please help 2004 merlot

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 2004 Thunderbird is a 32000 mile Florida garage queen, it has an intermittent loss of throttle response,conditions are engine at operating temp and shut off for 20 to 30 minutes,when restarted idle is up and down and gas pedal has no response, the problem corrects it self with in a minute or so. all services are up to date including fuel filter, I added fuel system cleaner and cleaned throttle body even though it wasn't real dirty, no engine lights on? Sure could use your help if you have had this problem. Thank you

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am a nube, but this is a great group and look for this condition in areas of the forum. It sounds like an electronic condition...?

I know everyone on this forum know what a great resource this or any forum is.. I'll tell you though, with all the problems with these cars, it's amazing they are not all at the bottom of a ravine... I have had mine for a year and 4-5 months of ownership has been with the car in winter storage.. I knock on wood everyday hoping mine doesn't sercume to that or whatever ailment that just got posted.. I know it's just not t-birds, it's what a forum is all about.. To help each other take care of the problems that arise with any beloved vehicle.. I trust the majority of people only post when they need help.. Thanks to all the people who know how to keep them on the road.. Who like helping others through issues.. You guys are all appreciated by us owners who wish we had the knowledge and expertise to troubleshoot all these problems.. Three thumbs up to all...

Check the throttle positioning control. Sometimes it loses where it was when you shut it off. Turn the key on to run and have someone push the gas pedal to the floor check at the throttle body if it is opening fully. Then have them take their foot off and see if it returns back to the close position. If it doesn't it could be that the pedal sensor isn't working correctly. Good Luck Rick

Its been a couple weeks and about 300 miles since tps was replaced , after dozens of tries problem seems repaired going to keep my fingers crossed!!!!

VC, under the hood, driver side, the doodad with the red locking mechanism. Word to the wise, use a genuine Ford part, if you don't it won't work correctly. I learned this the hard way. I am attaching a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_6262.jpg
    IMG_6262.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 0
VC, under the hood, driver side, the doodad with the red locking mechanism. Word to the wise, use a genuine Ford part, if you don't it won't work correctly. I learned this the hard way. I am attaching a photo.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! Should I replace the part with a new one (maf) or use a maf cleaner?

Clean it first and see if that clears up the issue, sometimes it does. If it doesn't replace it. takes 2 minutes, 2 screws and its done.

Wow, great. Ill try it first thing tomorrow. Thanks again!

Back