performance enhancers | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

performance enhancers

• Thread starter Thread starter raptor29
  • Start date Start date

If you had the money, would you have a turbo/supercharger installed in your tbird?

• yes, supercharger

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • yes, a turbocharger

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • either, it depends on personal preference

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • no, i wouldn't

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering buying a thunderbird some time in the near future, and I am wondering about the possiblity of adding a supercharger or a turbocharger. I have serveral questions:

Is it possible and if so what would it entale?

What are the disadvantages of both?

Would one be better for this situation than the other?

Do they effect gas/mileage; if so how much?

What modifications would have to take place?

Is it even a good idea?

Thanks. Any questions you could answer would be greatly appreciated?
raptor29

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Originally posted by raptor29
I am considering buying a thunderbird some time in the near future, and I am wondering about the possiblity of adding a supercharger or a turbocharger. I have serveral questions:

Is it possible and if so what would it entale?
yes it is possible.

What are the disadvantages of both?
turbo is better for highway speeds
blower is better for take off [drag racing]

turbo has lag between pushing down on the pedal and feeling a result [hence the term, turbo lag]

blowers take horsepower to run, so you will lose a small amount of hp to run it.

turbo will require routing the exhaust gas back to the turbo [that is what powers a turbo]

Would one be better for this situation than the other?
you did not describe what kind of driving situation you were aiming for.

Do they effect gas/mileage; if so how much?
yes, forget the green earth movement.

What modifications would have to take place?
turbo already described.

blower will need a mounting point inline with the air intake to the manifold.

blower will need a belt from the crank.

Is it even a good idea?
no, unless you just want to do it for kicks. 😉

if you want to race, don't use a heavy lux-convertible.

if you don't want to race, don't waste the money and effort.
[you will never get enough power out of a t-bird stock motor by adding a blower or turbo to make it outrun anything that it can't outrun as stock]

Thanks. Any questions you could answer would be greatly appreciated?
raptor29

Thanks

Thanks for the info. When I asked if either a supercharger or turbocharger would be better suited for a tbird, I meant just for regular road driving and joy rides. I might just do it for the kicks!

Also...as far as a Turbo gos...it does not neccessarilly mean a loss of fuel economy with one installed.......Sometimes infact,a Turbo can IMPROVE fuel economy to a limited degree.

This is for two important reasons....one as stated above...a turbo produces additional horsepower WITHOUT robbing horsepower...hence no additional fuel is burnt to compensate for loss of any horsepower.The turbo simply runs off the spent exhaust gases exiting the engine/exhaust manifold.

The other reason for potential contribution to fuel economy is a much more substantial fuel to air mixture.That is what the turbo does after all....cram more air into the cylinders.

There are additional consequences not often looked at by those who either install a turbo OR buy a car with one installed.That is operational tolerances related to making the turbo last LONGER.Due to how turbos operate...they tend to be a HIGH WEAR item if not looked after.One.....MAINTAIN A RELIGIOUS MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE...oil and oil filter mainly.The Turbo at normal to high end rotation is spinning **** fast(depending on size...they can reach RPMs in excess of 100,000!)....clean oil is a neccessity.Allow the car to idle(warm up) for a couple of minutes to INSURE adequate oil is pumping to the turbo before any serious load is to be applied(especially in winter when oil is thick after sitting in cold temps for hours on end).Before turning the car off...allow it to run at idle for a few minutes as well.....this allows the turbo to completely spin down and cool down somewhat before killing the engine.

I have been maintaining and or building engines now for 13 years,for the Air Force and Cat.....Diesel,Gas and Turbine engines can be impressive things...especially if well maintained.The addition of a Turbo or Blower is ENTIRELY up to the vehicle owner......and what you want is determined by what response the vehicle is to provide.Off the line...DEFINENTLY a Blower...but as stated,it operates by belt or chain and takes directly from your overall horsepower out put BUT adds instant low end horsepower response.Blowers also come in two basic designs.The Whipple design which is what MOST people think of...the traditional dual rotating viens that come with the image of an intake sticking up through the hood.Also there are the Turbine style that resemble a Turbo very much...but still belt or chain(or on occasion...electrically driven).Turbos...well,they hit the power curve as a general rule in the mid range of engine RPMs and pique at the high end.Today though.......there are specialty turbos capable of quicker response hitting in at lower RPMs.It is all up to you...I would personally check with FORD first to see if your warranty will be voided first....then see a reputable performance/speed shop.

InfernoRed

Well put Infero Red. Interesting that you work on Cats. I am the Shop Supervisor for Cummins Southern Plains, LTD (Distributor for Cummins Engine Company). Another interesting set up was used on the 8V92 Detroit where it had a Whipple style supercharger (blower) sitting on top of the engine and it had a turbo bolted to the top of the blower. Exhaust piped up to turbo and then routed down and out of the engine compartment to the exhaust system. Blower added instant torque and turbo supplied the blower with gobs of air in the mid to high range RPM's. Never seen this type system adapted to a gas engine in a car. Might be very interesting though.

Lon...I have discussed the idea with many of my coworkers who drag race or modify stock race(big pasttime it seems for most of our factory guys)about the idea of both Blower and Turbo installation to cover both ranges on ONE engine.They agree it does work BUT in thier enviroment...adds to much wieght to compensate for any benefits.As to our buisness though...I could see it being a benefit to the industrial applications avialble for both our company's products.

InfernoRed 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back