1962-67 prospective owner questions

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
C
Last seen
Hi all,

I have been looking to buy a classic car since I was a teenager. Now, I have just gotten a great new job and one finally in my reach. It's either a third or fourth generation Thunderbird or (gasp, a Lincoln Mark III). I'm really not too fussy on which T-Bird, it really depends on the color combination and location. I am leaning more towards the Thunderbird because it seems there are a lot more available. I would like to describe my situation here and feel out recommendations as to whether I can (or should) buy one of these cars.

Mechanical Ability
I have owned a lot of vintage Japanese motorcycles. So, rebuilding carburetors, setting points, valve clearances, oil changes, and the like I am very familiar with. However, I have done literally no work on a car besides oil changes - EVER. It seems like cars are a lot more difficult to work on. Getting to those parts is probably quite a challenge, everything is 10x bigger and heavier, too. I would never feel comfortable rebuilding the heads or swapping out a transmission. That's just where I am in my personal mechanical skill. I don't have a lift, crane, or any heavy machinery required for serious restoration. Easy-moderate difficulty maintenance is fine though.

Budget
I will be financing the car. I'm comfortable spending up to $300 a month in payments that is roughly up to $20,000. If the car is nearer to 20,000, I'd prefer for it to be in excellent condition and require maintenance only. I have an extra $200 for insurance and gas per month. I'm not sure what maintenance it will require outside of fluid changes which I can do myself.

Driving Use
I live in a city with very cold winters and warm summers. It is pretty small, and my commute is <1 mile. I have a vintage motorcycle for commuting in good weather, as well as the Mrs' car, but I would like to be able to drive the classic at least once or twice a week, and perhaps every day in good weather. I'd also like to be able to take it on longer trips of several hundred miles on long weekends and holidays. I'm not looking to go fast or to run the car hard. So engine size and performance isn't really a concern. If possible, I'd consider putting fuel injectors on if it's possible for gas mileage.

So, with all this in mind, am I in the right position to buy one of these cars?

I guess the first question would be to ask what you want to DO with it! If you want a "daily driver", you may spend more to make the car more reliable. I know you mention bad weather - that's the toughest on the car - but will you DEPEND on the car at all times? How are you getting to work now in the snow? Bear in mind that a early to mid-60's car is over half-century old, and even well-preserved cars are going to have wear issues. This can be a big deal for a daily driver but is of little consequence to a weekend warrior who drives to shows and out for ice cream with a car that never sees rain or snow. It's all opinion, but to me the issue is the short block: if the car idles nicely and has good compression, that MAY mean the block/pistons/rings/crank are all holding up well and can be left alone. If you're handy (and it sounds like you ARE) then the fun is in all the rest! Maybe a new carb or intake, even a cam is "driveway-doable" with the tools, some talent and a shop manual. My fear is the day it starts "stumbling" and I pull the dipstick to see milky mud instead of clear oil. Anything else I can handle.
With that said, if you find a good specimen still showing nice paint for $10,000 or that neighborhood and you have another $10,000 to put in it: you should be fine, depending on your plans for it.

Hello everyone. I am new to Tbirds and will be getting a '62 hardtop (390 V8) next week. I am frankly clueless about these cars other than I had one years ago that was stolen. Are there any "what to look fors"???....DOs/DON'Ts before I move forward with this??

Thank you all. Look forward to sharing more.

Hi,
The advice from Danny (above) is excellent. Just remember that you are primarily acquiring a hobby and secondarily a means of transportation. The 390 engines are basically bullet proof, if you start out with one in good condition. There is nothing magical about the T-Bird when compared with other early 60s cars except that there may be a few more electrical circuits than the average car. If it were me, I would have someone knowledgeable about the engine and transmission (maybe that is you) check it out , and that person should not be hard to find. If those two components are good - go for it. The "extra" $10K mentioned above will be spent , as you drive and get acquainted with the car over the first several months . I would absolutely plan on replacing the brake lines (both metal and rubber components) ASAP, (regardless of what they look like unless they were already replaced in the past couple of years) they rot both from the inside as well as the outside. The fuel tank and lines should also be closely inspected and replaced if there is any rust in the tank (make sure you have a new, good in-line fuel filter).

Good Luck,
Doug

Good morning all! To further answer the original poster, he mentioned fuel injection. If properly done not a bad choice. However keep in mind 3rd gen and(probably) 4th gen the engine is installed at 0 degrees, not the 2 1/2 degrees like all other fe engines. Changing the intake manifold isn't going to happen. Have a reputable repair shop do a compression check, this along with oil pressure check will tell the true condition of the engine.these cars run and drive fantastic! I restored a '61 bird and it was my daily driver for years, never had any problems sold after 20 years. (I regret that) watch for rust! This is your real enemy, as these are unibody cars. Buy the best car you can afford! Parts are available, but not always cheap. There is an amazing wealth of information here and great people to help you keep it on the road!

Back