Parking Lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.
S
Does anyone know why the "optional parking lamps" are optional since there is no additional charge? Also,can my dealer install them. I do not like the plastic inserts.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I believe it has something to do with the 5mph bumper impact rules, being optional they don't have to be included in the tests.

This topic has come up before and I know some were going to check out having them installed, don't remember the outcome.

i think there's some silly law that says that they cannot make the lights mandatory.

if your car is on order, just order it WITH the lights and they'll come installed.

if you already have the car with plastic inserts, i'm sure your dealer can install them for you.

My car also came with the plastic inserts (no lights). I asked the dealer why, and they assumed I ordered it that way. This was 7th one they delivered and they had not seen one without the lights. The parts are on order and the dealer is picking up the costs.
It has been 3 weeks now, I am going to follow-up with them on Monday.
In another thread someone said dealer cost was $300, retail $500 for parts/labor.

Hey,question time here.How do these ugly inserts stay in? And would anyone be interrested in machined aluminum or chromed "bullets" to replace them with to give the car more of a nostalgic look.This is aimed more at those who didn't want the lights but now are deciding they do not like the appearance of the car without them.But any opinion would be appreciated.

InfernoRed
smile.gif

Greyfox,
Why are they charging so much for parts etc.? If you look at standard options with the car they are at no extra charge. Sounds like they are ripping you off. I'll let you know when I get a price quote at my dealership.

Saw a post from one of our people up north in Canada and they said ,I think, that a whole new wiring harness had to be installed to put the lights on the car.

------------------
02 T-Bird
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Saw a post from one of our people up north in Canada and they said ,I think, that a whole new wiring harness had to be installed to put the lights on the car.

------------------
02 T-Bird
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Originally posted by Stonewall:
Greyfox,
Why are they charging so much for parts etc.? If you look at standard options with the car they are at no extra charge. Sounds like they are ripping you off. I'll let you know when I get a price quote at my dealership.
The dealer is doing it at no charge to me. The prices I quoted were from an earlier thread and came from someone else. My understanding was that it isn't as simple as putting in the lights, ones without the lights are also minus the wiring harness. Just doing this from memory but seem to recall the Canadian ones don't have the lights. Might have been someone from Canada that provided those numbers. Shoptime in this part of California is $90/hr. Doesn't take much labor to get to $500 and after you add the cost of parts. Number seems understandable to me.

I like the idea of the crome bullets. I hope someone can work these up and get us a picture of a Bird with them on it.

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

Well,I am more than willing to further research the possibility of making "bullets" but need info on the inserts as to how they actually stay in....wether it is tabs or screws or what ever.I would like to use the same system if possible for installation convienence if I pursue making them.

InfernoRed
smile.gif

Guys,

If you got plastic inserts in Canada that's normal... The lamps are not available here the the Great White North... Some stupid rule about a 5mph bumper crash test that failed with Transport Canada.

According to what I could gather on the Ford website... The lamps are N/C optional in the states when you order the vehicle.

If you need to order them aftermarket. The lamps are 75$cdn each and you also need a wiring harness that is approx 35$.

Well worth the investment... The plastic insert look cheezy.

Stopped by the dealer today. The parking lights came in. He put it up on the hoist and the plastic inserts just pop out. The parking light units screw right in, and there is an additional wiring harness that goes from one light to the other and connects to an existing harness. Don't know what the harness cost but the lights retail at $58 ea. Harness couldn't be much more. Total time to do it was about 25 minutes. Earlier I quoted someone else on price of $300 dealer cost and $500 retail. This was done at no cost to me, but at the very high end cost couldn't be over $200.

Any one know why they are 'PARKING LITES' in the US and FOG LITES in Canada?
Canada has daytime running lights , a added bulb in the headlights, the Canadian car has a switch for the FOG lites, Does the US cars lights have a 'parking ' function like the old cars had?
If the lights don't add extra light as our fog lites do while driving I would rather have decorative chrome bullets!

Just replaced my inserts with lights, but
haven't put wiring harness in yet. It sure
changes the appearance of the front end.
Part numbers for lights are 1W6Z-13200-AA
and for harness 1W6Z-15A434-AA.
You have to take the front bottom cover off
to access the wiring harness area.
to InfernoRed-have pics of the insert tabs.
Will email you them direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back