Old Request Once Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by nixr:
Grayfox II I have a blackbird and have the under hood primer paint. In the sunlight you can see this with the hood in the close position in the gap between the hood and fender almost looks like dust that needs to be cleaned . I would like to get the part that is visible from the outside fixed. Its too bad the entire engine compartment is this way. this is the same with the inside of the fuel door compartment

So far it seems the not so satisfied are in the minority. Maybe we are more critical, maybe others are more tolerant. I figure it this way, if you ask a question be prepared for an honest answer. I surely think the question was posed as to get feedback good or not so good. This is a very nice car but mine isn't in the same league (finish wise) as other $40K cars. Actually isn't in the same league as $20K cars. I got rid of a PT Cruiser when I got this car. If one were judging the 2 on finish you would guess the PT Cruiser was the $40K car and the T Bird was the $20K car. Doesn't make sense to me.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My vin is in the 5200 series and the orange peel is very noticable especially on the removable top. I've been looking at other brands of cars and notice it most American made cars and have also noticed it on Nissan products. Honda/Acure, Toyota/Lexus, VW/Audi,BMW, Mercedes seem unnoticable. I would have expected much better. Also the clear coat seems to scratch much to easily. IMO

Unfortunalely, too much orange peel on most every area of the car (red, VIN 8332). This did not appear on the preproduction Birds I had seen.
The car is still great!

"Jewel" has overall a nice red finish. Three problems include 1) some orange peel on the red hardtop (mostly obvious in artificial light); 2) slight clear coat run along the crease of the lower body work (not that obvious)by the rear wheel well on the passenger side; 3) small chip by the bird on the front end (subsequently only partially fixed by the dealer - this will be addressed in the spring). The red is a real attention getter and for the most part I am happy with it.

Paul

------------------
#3739 Premium
Torch Red w/matching top
Standard Interior

GreyfoxII and Nixr

Could you please send me a picture of the thin paint under the hood. Knowing exactly what area it is will help immensely.

NMJeff

If you would, please send me an email.

Regarding the orange peel on the removable top, that part is painted by the supplier and not by the plant. I will make sure that I bring this up at our next meeting.

Thank you everyone for your honest answers. They really do help us in the plant. Please keep them coming. The only way we can send a better product is to know what you like, dislike, want and don't want.

WP, Do you suppose that what NMJeff (the grey spots)has on his car is in the same vein as what happened to mine?

And I do hope you are getting some kind of compensation from Ford for all the extra work you do for them and us..

Pooh,

The one area you and you co-workers should address is orange peel. I have #4066 and, while I'm not unhappy with the paint to the point of taking action, it has orange peel to a much greater degree than my Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd..
As mentioned above, the hard top seems to be worse than the body.

Yellowwing

It looks as if I am going to make it to Chicago for the Thunder on 66 send off. That in itself is going to be enough "appreciation" for me.

Chief

I agree that the orange peel isn't the best. Unfortunately, its not something that us line workers can do anything about. I will convey all your messages regarding the orange peel to those above me.

Have a great day everyone.
Pooh

WixomPooh,
Thank you for your concerns about the paint of these great cars, My black bird vin#9468 has a very good paint job except for swirl marks aceoss the front of the hood about one foot high. I have ordered Zaino produts with their swirl mark remover and will try them, if that does not work I will return to the dealer and see what they say. There was also some over spray on the top of the rear bumper that came off with 3M very fine rubbing compound. Thanks again for a wonderful car.

Thirdbird

I agree with the comments about the p[aint being thin under the hood. Does not seem to be a problem in the trunk. The red under the hood seem tah you can see a gray primer under it. If it was a show car, you would have to repaint.
I did notice a chip on the underside of the hood, but you have to have to hood open to see, so I do not plan any repair.
Keep up the good work, Ford is luckly to have members like you.

------------------
Bill's Red and White #4359

WixomPooh,
Thank you for getting back to me, I will take a couple of pictures and e-mail them to you. If you can not tell from them let me know. Love the car, all of you at Wixom did a great job of building such a wonderful car.

Thirdbird

Wixom Pooh,

Was just curious if you had received the pictures I sent you Saturday of the chip & scratches on my bird?

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Lon

Sorry for not responding earlier. I worked 12 hours on Sat and was a walking zombie yesterday. I am off work til Wednesday so I will take them with me then.

I know this is off this topic and under another thread- but what you do use to keep your beast so shiny? I sure need to do something with mine!

------------------
His- F 150 SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Hers- F 150 SuperCrew Lariat 4x4 Off Road
Sure can't let him have the better one :)

WixomPooh,
Did you get my pictures, I sent them Sunday. I sent some other pictures to my daughter the same day and she did not get them. If you did not I will resend them.

Thirdbird

Wixom Pooh,

I use Deep Seal. They make paint sealant, paint sealant renewer, and regular wax. I put on a coat of Deep Seal Sealant and plan to apply a coat of renewer about every 6 - 12 months dependent upon how much exposure to the sun & elements the car gets. Then about once every two weeks I go over the car with a spray detailer. I use "Slick Stuff" made by The Wax Shop. Then use 303 on tires, interior, etc.
I don't think Deep Seal has a Web Site, but their address is as follows;
Deep Seal International
P.O. Box 3487
Albuquerque, N.M. 87190

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Thirdbird

I didn't get your email... please resend

Lon

Thanks for the information... looks like I'll be busy once spring hits
smile.gif

WP my hat is off to you and your coworkers for the effort you are making to produce an error free quality product.I took delivery of my SR71 on 12/20/01 (ser.#4201),have only 319mi.,and washed it twice.The paint has no flaws that I have been able to discover.
I think if people expect a flawless mass produced product they are nieve.My 2000 Ranger has the thinest paint job on any vehicle I have ever owned,I wish the people in the Edison,NJ plant had as much pride in the product they built as you do.But alas Edison is no more and still they ask why.
Thank You Poo and all your fellow workers for remembering that the customers satisfaction is the result of a job well done!!

I have a big paing "bump" on the bottom left corner of the driver's door. Have not had an opportunity to really see what it is like since I live in Iowa. I just found it so I have not talked to the dealership about what to do - open to suggestions!

WixomPooh, I have a redbird that has orange peel all over. I really don't have a problem with that, in fact, I wouldn't have known it didn't look great except for reading here that orange peel is bad.

In the open area of the front end, under the grill, the red paint in the farthest right section seems to be very thin, it almost looks like the bumper was black and the red paint was barely sprayed over it. Not a big deal as that area is usually in shadow, but I was surprised to see that.

I also have a blemish on the driver's side rear panel, near the Thunderbird logo, that looks like some sort of debris was painted in. It's about 1/16" wide and sticks up (you can feel it with your finger) about 1/32" and is slightly darker than the red paint over it. I didn't notice it until the second time I washed the car, after your post prompted me to look at the paint carefully.

PLEASE DON'T THINK I AM BEING CRITICAL OF MY CAR OR THE JOB Y'ALL DID....I LOVE MY BIRD, I AM THANKFUL TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO WORKED TO PUT IT TOGETHER AND I THANK YOU FOR BEING SO INTERESTED AND CARING ABOUT PROVIDING SUCH A QUALITY PRODUCT.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back