Noise from engine compartment | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Noise from engine compartment

• Thread starter Thread starter Bruce Y.
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Just bought a low mileage 2005 and after the car is warm, I hear a whirring noise from the engine compartment. Is the radiator fan so noisy you hear it in the enclosed cab (with hard top on)? Or could it be another thing causing the noise? There are no other symptoms, the car drives great and otherwise sounds quiet.

PS - I just had the fluids changed / topped off and it still happens so I am inclined to think this is not a low power steering fluid issue.

Thanks, Bruce

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Run it while under the hood. Hear it? If notturn steering whell and see if that's it

Its not the power steering. It happens after the car is warm and sounds like it might be the fan or something electrical whining. And even after the car is shut off, there remains an electrical sound for a little while, just not as loud.

Does anyone have a similar condition??

Have you looked under the hood to see if the fan is still running. It may run until the engine cools down. Although mine does not do this, I have heard of other cars doing it.

That isn't it but thanks. There is some residual noise (soft electrical buzzing sound) for a little while after shutting off the car, but the fan does not continue to run. I think the noise is just a really loud fan that I hear when driving after the car is warm. Just wanted to know if this is common?

I don't think it is common. Every owner that we get together with have no complaints of noise.

noise

That isn't it but thanks. There is some residual noise (soft electrical buzzing sound) for a little while after shutting off the car, but the fan does not continue to run. I think the noise is just a really loud fan that I hear when driving after the car is warm. Just wanted to know if this is common?

Hi Bruce,

Don't think that noise should be there at all. Unless your hearing the engine cool down. Not the fan just residual heat. Either way I would get it checkd out. After you shut it down and close the doors you should hear no sound like electrical or otherwise.

Good luck bud,

Steve

The following was posted by a friend of mine, elsewhere, re. noisy fans:

I hope this helps you understand how it all operates. It is take right out of the 2005 Ford Service manual.
It is long but it will tell you exactly how the whole complete system operates.
I think the fan is noisy also, but usually don't hear it over the CDs.

Dual Automatic Temperature Control (DATC) Module Description
The DATC system automatically maintains a selected temperature for vehicle interior comfort and regulates the volume of airflow between the instrument panel registers, floor ducts, windshield defroster nozzle, and side window demisters. The system will automatically select between fresh and recirculated air with an optional manual override. The DATC system will also include a manual A/C override, blower speed override, and airflow direction overrides.
The dual temperature zone feature provides the driver and the front seat passenger with their own independent temperature set points. The DATC system provides both the driver and front seat passenger with their selected temperature for interior comfort. In situations where the difference between the driver and the front seat passenger set points are very large, the DATC will tend to favor the driver's setting and make the front seat passenger as comfortable as possible.
The driver and front seat passenger will not have independent air distribution mode or fan controls so the system is dual temperature only. In some cases the passenger temperature set point may influence the air distribution mode or blower speed in automatic mode

When AUTO is selected:
The temperature control setting(s) are manually set to the desired setting(s).
The air inlet door actuator is automatically controlled by the DATC module, based on the temperature setting(s), but can be manually overridden by selecting the recirculation button.
The panel door, floor door and defrost door actuators are automatically controlled by the DATC module based on the temperature setting(s), but can be manually overridden by selecting any of the air distribution buttons.
The dual coolant control valve is automatically controlled by the DATC module based on the temperature setting(s).
The A/C compressor is automatically controlled by the DATC module based on the temperature setting(s), but can be manually overridden by selecting the A/C button. The A/C compressor will not operate if the outside temperature is lower than approximately 2°C (35°F).
The blower motor is on. The blower motor speed is automatically controlled by the DATC module based on the temperature setting(s), but can be manually overridden by adjusting the blower speed rocker button.
When OFF is selected:
The air inlet door actuator positions the air inlet door to close off outside air from entering the passenger compartment.
The floor door actuator positions the floor door in the OPEN position, and the panel door actuator and defrost door actuator position the panel door and defrost door in the CLOSED positions. This closes off airflow to the defrost duct, the side window demisters and the instrument panel A/C registers.
The dual coolant control valve is in the closed position, preventing the flow of hot coolant to the heater core.
The blower motor is off.
When PANEL is selected:
The Recirc request button is enabled. If the Recirc request button is selected (indicator on), the air inlet door actuator positions the air inlet door to close off outside air from entering the passenger compartment. If the Recirc request button is not selected (indicator off), the air inlet door actuator positions the air inlet door to admit only outside air into the passenger compartment.
The panel door actuator positions the panel door in the OPEN position and the floor door and defrost door actuators position the floor door and defrost door in the CLOSED position, directing airflow to the instrument panel A/C registers.
The dual coolant control valve is automatically controlled by the DATC module based on the temperature setting(s).
The A/C request button is enabled. When the A/C request button is selected (indicator on), the A/C compressor will operate if the outside air temperature is above approximately 2°C (35°F). When the A/C request button is not selected (indicator off), the A/C compressor will not operate and the air cannot be cooled below the outside temperature.
The blower motor is on. The blower motor speed is automatically controlled by the DATC module based on the temperature setting(s), but can be manually overridden by adjusting the blower speed rocker button.
When PANEL/FLOOR is selected:
The Recirc request button is enabled. If the Recirc request button is selected (indicator on), the air inlet door actuator positions the air inlet door as to close off outside air from entering the passenger compartment. If the Recirc request button is not selected (indicator off), the air inlet door actuator positions the air inlet door to admit only outside air into the passenger compartment.
The panel door and floor door actuators position the panel door and floor door in the OPEN position and the defrost door actuator positions the defrost door in the CLOSED position, directing airflow to the instrument panel A/C registers and the floor duct.
The A/C request button is enabled. When the A/C request button is selected (indicator on), the A/C compressor will operate if the outside air temperature is above approximately 2°C (35°F). When the A/C request button is not selected (indicator off), the A/C compressor will not operate and the air cannot be cooled below the outside temperature.
When FLOOR is selected:
The Recirc request button is enabled. If the Recirc request button is selected (indicator on), the air inlet door actuator positions the air inlet door to close off outside air from entering the passenger compartment. If the Recirc request button is not selected (indicator off), the air inlet door actuator positions the air inlet door as to admit only outside air into the passenger compartment. The DATC will automatically revert to the outside air position after approximately 1 to 4 minutes to prevent window fogging.
The floor door actuator positions the floor door in the OPEN position and the panel door and defrost door actuators position the panel door and defrost door in the CLOSED position, directing airflow to the floor duct. A small amount of airflow from the outboard instrument panel A/C registers will be present.

The balance of this manual:

The dual coolant control valve is automatically controlled by the DATC module based on the temperature settings.
The blower motor is on. The blower motor speed is automatically controlled by the DATC module based on the temperature setting(s), but can be manually overridden by adjusting the blower speed rocker button
When FLOOR/DEFROST is selected:
The Recirc request button is enabled. If the Recirc request button is selected (indicator on), the air inlet door actuator positions the air inlet door to close off outside air from entering the passenger compartment. If the Recirc request button is not selected (indicator off), the air inlet door actuator positions the air inlet door as to admit only outside air into the passenger compartment. The DATC will automatically revert to the outside air position after approximately 1 to 4 minutes to prevent window fogging.
The floor door and defrost door actuators position the floor door and defrost door in the OPEN position and the panel door actuator positions the panel door in the CLOSED position, directing airflow to the floor duct, the windshield defroster ducts, and the side window demisters. A small amount of airflow from the outboard instrument panel A/C registers will be present.
The dual coolant control valve is automatically controlled by the DATC module based on the temperature settings.
The blower motor is on. The blower motor speed is automatically controlled by the DATC module based on the temperature setting(s), but can be manually overridden by adjusting the blower speed rocker button
When DEFROST is selected:
The Recirc request button is disabled. The air inlet door actuator positions the air inlet door to admit only outside air into the passenger compartment.
The defrost door actuator positions the defrost door in the OPEN position and the panel door and floor door actuators position the panel door and floor door in the CLOSED position, directing airflow to the windshield defroster ducts and the side window demisters. A small amount of airflow from the outboard instrument panel A/C registers will be present.
The A/C request button is disabled. To reduce fogging, the A/C compressor will operate if the outside air temperature is above approximately 2°C (35°F).

i have a similar problem with the cooling fan it is very loud and once it turns on it will not shut off (i have the a/c shut off) i have not heard any other t-bird or lincoln ls v8 with a fan this loud. unfortunatly the dealer i go to say fan noise is normal and since it is a rare time when another bird is in for service at the time i am there so i have nothing to match it against. this fan can be heard with windows up . i know something is wrong but how do i get the dealer to do anything need some sort of proof any HELP would be appreicated
car is an 03 premium w/hard top and sst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back