New tbird pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
C
Well, I'm interested in buying a 2002 thunderbird, and after browsing this forum, I've read a whole lot of things I wasn't aware of, at least in terms of how difficult it has been for a lot of people to get a hold of one. I'm in the chicago area, and there are a handful of them sitting in dealers lots, and all seem to be asking anywhere between $5-$10k over MSRP, which I think is a bit unreasonable. I really don't see the point in spending that much money over MSRP for a car... Let me tell you why... I realize most of the people on this forum are tbird lovers, but the Thunderbird isn't the only car that has been in great demand recently. The 2002 Subraru Impreza WRX was in insane demand immediately after it was released. Dealers were selling it for large sums over msrp and a lot of people paid (Keep in mind, this is a car many were waiting 10 years to show up in America). Now, practically every dealer has them in inventory and no one is paying over MSRP for them, and this is just maybe 3 or 4 months after they first came out. So, do I think this will continue with the Thunderbird? No way. Some may have paid $50k for a $40k car, but if it is true that Ford is manufacturing 25,000 a year, I doubt that many people will shell out that much for this vehicle. Keep in mind that subaru only shipped 15,000 WRXs to America and there are still a lot of them available.

Anyway, I want to purchase one of these immediately, and I'm still looking, I'll pay MSRP, and not a penny over it. If there are any dealers here who want an easy sale, contact me. Otherwise, I'll wait a few months when they'll be selling under MSRP (just watch, it'll happen) and they're sitting on every dealer's lot. BTW, the closest dealer to my house has had one sitting on his lot for almost a month now (And this is with supposedly 9 people on a waiting list with a $4k deposit). Hahahah

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It helps to post here as some have found their msrp price by doing so.

Bear in mind though as I live in a major metro area and my dealer sold{committed} all of his allotment (of 25) by last April at msrp.

With none for the showroom floor, he has been buying these new Thunderbirds at auction for around $45K and selling at close to $50K He's not the only dealer doing this so it will make it more difficult for you to find one right now at msrp.

The smart dealers went to their loyal customers and asked them if they wanted a new Thunderbird at MSRP early this year.

The gougers decided that customer loyalty and building a loyal customer base was not worth missing an opportunity to cash out on a new product.

Trouble is that by Spring the premiums over MSRP will be going down. A lot of potential buyers have felt the effects of the economy and are not taking the vehicles they had ordered. Dealers will see that they cannot get the premiums over MSRP. Also, they will have to take 10% of their allocation without hard tops and they won't be quite as desirable. The 2003's will have new colors and electric cooling fans and will be readily available at MSRP.

The same drop in prices happened to PT Cruisers, Prowlers, Corvettes, etc. Tell several dealers that you would like them to become your automotive needs supplier and you would like to be on the list for a new Thunderbird, should one become available at MSRP.

If one comes through for you, give them your future automotive business. They are square shooters. Beware of the gougers - if they would do this, what else would they do?

Yeah, I actually found a rep at a dealer that told me that the management at the dealership will not allow it to go for less than $49k. And it was a non-commission rep who actually was on my side in believing that they shouldn't be asking that much. I'm not really worried about it. I'll probably just wait till spring or maybe for the 2003 model.

I guess the key to get a good deal is patience. It really amazed me all the things people are going through on this board in terms of having orders in and calling constantly to check on them. I'm excited about the new bird and even though I can probably afford to throw some extra money at it, I know I'll be kicking myself in the ass when the prices come down...

keep dreaming--you'll never see the birds drop off like the new beetles, pt cruisers, etc. etc. with ford holdin down production, you'll pay it or won't drive it. what's $45k if you're gonna spend $40k?? black premium,h/top, 500 miles. $45,800 takes it home

You're wrong, Madhouse. It's just that simple. You're wrong and you're angry at how silly you're going to feel for paying over list a year from now.

I am reminded that "a man will pay a premium for something he wants or needs, and a woman will buy a bargin even if she doesn't need it." An eaarly adopter is used to paying a premium to be first.

Look at electronics and computers. I wish I had waited a little while longer to buy my first hard drive. Only cost $250 for a 20 meg drive. You wouldn't pay that today for a 20 gig hard drive.

I've never paid MSRP for a car in my life - until now, and I've had over 100 new ones. I guess that's the same as someone else paying a little over list??? I just hate that a dealer would do that to a potential lifetime customer. MSRP would be a nice reward for prior and future business.

Same thing happened to me with the first RCA dish on the market. I paid over $1200. for it and I put it up myself. Well we all know what they go for now.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293 Build Date 01/14

My first harddrive was a 5 meg drive that coest me $10,000 in 1981. My first dish was about $3500 so you guys got off lightly. As you said, you pay to be first.
frown.gif

madhouse,

with ford holdin down production? 24,000 for 02 ???
icon36.gif

DC only made 10,562 prowlers in 5 years and that didn't matter!!!!
crazy.gif
you can buy a new prowler today 6k off msrp.......

"You can pay more, but you can't buy better than the Ford"

The old slogan kind of takes on a new meaning, eh? Seriously, I think as long as demand exceeds supply, price levels will remain above MSRP. At some point the demand will be satisfied (or the economy will kill the luxury auto market) and prices will come down. After hearing all the stories about public reaction to the new T-bird, do people really think interest is about to decline?

With all due respect to the Prowler, it just didn't have the same broad appeal as say, the PT Cruiser. How many of those sold in excess MSRP? [And might still be selling over MSRP if production hadn't soared to meet demand.]

I think I remember learning about the concept of supply and demand in 6th grade????

There are alot of us that plopped down deposits in January so we could be driving what we all knew would be a spectacular vehicle for the price - 40K or 50K. (See Motor Trend's comment on value!!)

The rather inartful question posed here is "would I pay more (5K on average) now or rather pocket the money (and the opportunity to drive a new bird for 6 months or more) and pay MSRP in June 2002?

The vast majority of us, including those of us who have this car already (and other cars as well), would answer the above question -- absolutely!!!

christos99, with the vast resources available on this board, you might just find a bird at MSRP and have it shipped to you. As I experienced in Los Angeles, sometimes you have to travel outside your area to eliminate the big city bias that some dealer's enjoy on cars on demand.

Happy Holidays and I hope Santa finds you what your looking for...a bird.

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049 -- Driving at MSRP since 8/01.

I completely understand the concept of supply and demand, but I also understand two other concepts: reality and depreciation.

Reality: Practically every other car in recent memory (and a number of examples have been given here) that sold over MSRP was within a short period of time easily available and selling for a reasonable price (probably somewhere between invoice & msrp) Will this happen with the tbird? I say probably, but I gues you never know.

Depreciation: Keep in mind, it still is a car, and depreciates 40% in the first year, and I guarantee you the market will base that on the msrp or less... So not only are you shelling out more now, you'll never recoup it.

BUT BUT BUT. Some people just MUST be the first ones to drive one of these cars. I don't get that obsession, but hey, who am I to criticize anyone else.. You only live once, do what you want to be happy.

I probably would spend over MSRP on this car. But there's one thing holding me back. I'm driving a '97 Thunderbird that runs like a dream (with 94,000 miles on it). Who knows, late model tbirds always got a bad rap from just about everyone but I love mine, and the 4.6L V8 and it's a great ride and has been for 4 years. Honestly, I really am not ready to get rid of it. But eventually I will, for a new one, once I can get it at what its worth.

christos

Christos99, I don't know anything about you but my guess is that you weren't around when the 55 to 57's came out. I was. This is why a lot of us are getting one of these cars. Some are paying what they need to pay to get one and some of us were lucky enough to get it at MSRP. I was one of the lucky ones. Most of us are NOT looking for a quick turn over. We just want the car. I probably won't be around long enough or may sell it in 10 yrs. But, it Will go up in price over time. I bought a 69 Vette 14 yrs ago for $10,000. It is now worth around $20,000.
Point made.
I just sold my 95 LX with the 4.6 this summer with only 35,000 on it so I could get the 02 Bird.

------------------
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

Gobird -- Right on. the 2 seat bird has been a want of mine for 40 years. I missed a great '56 back in 64-64 and bought a '66 convertible in '67, but nothing I've had has sparked my passion like this car has. I knew as soon as I saw the concept car that I HAD to have it and put myselk of the dealer's list WAY back when. I too got mine a list, but I think if pushed, I probably would have paid more.)

------------------
#1429 Black Premium with Full Red Interior.

christos99,

I've had '96 SC and a '97 LX and understand your point of view. If you need the extra seats and trunk space, the new bird isn't for you. If you don't need them, and you can afford the '02, there isn't a comparison between the birds.

This is without a doubt an entirely new type of bird that takes the best of the past and merges it with the technology and quality far beyond that of the '97 LX.

Reality is we'd be guessing on the MSRP issue. I do not think the majority of us wanted to be the first -- we just wanted to get the car. I plan to keep mine for a very long time and do not like the prospect of having my deposit sit on a new car, period.

Depreciation is probably true. However, do you want to wait 2 years or more for it? Is your real concern over recouping? Most of us aren't thinking about resale. We're having difficulty waiting for the darn car to arrive!

However, if you are in the camp that isn't nuts about the car like most of us are now, you won't mind picking up a used rig from someone who either fell on hard luck, doesn;t like the bird, or trashed it and put it back together for resale. (Try finding a good used Viper)

Don't foreget your CARFAX report dude!

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

After 1957 I lost all interest in the T-Bird until 1983 1/2 when they came out with aero look. After that I bough an 84, 87, 89, 90 and 95. Even though I still don't have my 02 yet, should be here around the first of Feb., I feel it WILL not only be the best car I have ever owned but the Best T-Bird ever. This is how a passionate and loyola T-Bird buyer fells.

------------------
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

I have only owned two Thunderbirds, the 1956, my father's used car, and my new NM.

My father paid about 1/3 less than the original buyer for the '56 and I paid him 10 times what he paid for the little Bird 30 years later.

I feel with the current demand and US population the 25,000 cap in production will keep this car in the Blue Chip form of car investments.

You do have to be around for 30 or more years though. So, I invest in the markets for instant loss/gains and invest in the Ford Thunderbird for instant FUN!

I also have never paid MSRP for a new vehicle in my life, but am very happy paying the 41,995 MSRP for the NM TBird.

I have close friends paying 5K-10K over MSRP in Colorado to get their share of the FUN.

------------------
'56 + '02 Birds

wubble--i certainly am not angry!! and certainly not upset!! I GOT ONE!! i am just glad to live in a country that you can prosper as you wish,and able to afford what i want. i own 56 cars and trucks, 2 pontoon boats, 2 jet skis, a new kubota, just sold harley,and happen to have a new bird. yeah, i paid $a bunch, and would take my money back or lose a little, because honestly, the car does not impress me at all!! but if i wasn't willing to pay over msrp, i wouldn't have. but-oh well, i wanted one!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back