New 2002 Owner-SUPER Sad Start...(what would you do?)

Ok. Gave the shop the go ahead to repair. After a lot of thought, even though it's right at the 5k number to repair, I decided it made less sense to throw away 8k, then save up ANOTHER 8-12k to buy another one. I know I got lucky with the pricing on this one, the couple I found in the 10k range were in terrible condition so I know I'd be in for another long wait. We also decided to go with new parts to facilitate being able to start repairs sooner and of course we know that the parts will be perfect. The savings for used vs the time to amass all the parts didn't make sense to me.

Now, I just might try and grab one of those flood cars on the cheap and store it for parts, especially since fiberglass doesn't rust!

We really love our T-Bird, and the thought of picking up a salvage for parts is enticing.. Unfortunately, I don't have the shade tree or any other place to store it so if and when I need parts it's there.. Best of luck on the repairs.. Keep the faith, it will be worth it.. Also I love the smell of new paint off-gassing.. :)

I just drove my 05 back from Vidalia Ga to Nashville TN which was about 420 miles. It rained most of the way so coming through Atlanta in the rain after dark was a little nerve. It brought back the time I purchased a new 1969 mustang in Clarksville TN and drove about 50 miles to Paris TN. and stopped at a K&W root beer drive in. Upon leaving I backed into a telephone pole and demolished my rear end. The bumper and trunk had a perfect indenture of the pole and the speedometer showed under 100 miles.

I do know how you feel and I am sad for your car but glad you were not hurt.

So, slight delay in parts, so it will blearily next week. During this time I've decided to have the entire car re-prayed since over 1/3 of it will have shiny new paint. The shop owner said he'd love to spray it a black pearl (if I want to). I'm considering it, but not sure I want to spray the hard top. Honestly, I don't know how often I'll use it (if at all) so I may want to sell it down the line. But, since the car will be a slightly different color it won't be a 100% match when you get up close.

How do you guys think a matte finished black top would look with a black pearl finish? I'm thinking of plastic-dipping the top since it's not permanent and requires no surface prep so the finish underneath will be"preserved" so that if I do end up selling it can be restored to the standard black finish.

My opinion is have the top painted or sell it.

Please don't plasti-dip it (or anything else for that matter).

Of course, I could just get the car shot in the original black, but that black pearl....when the light hits it just right...:)

Of course, I could just get the car shot in the original black, but that black pearl....when the light hits it just right...:)

I have had my torch red 02 with matching Fred hard top for about a year now.. I have toyed with the idea of buying a black hard top.. I love the contrast with the red when I have the black soft top up... Not sure on that one yet.. I only use the hard top in April and November and when it's stored over the winter..

Well, I'm new to the last generation of Thunderbirds. Found a black 2002 with 120k, 2 owners with good service records. Everything works, interior/exterior really good shape and it was at a price I couldn't pass up. I had been looking to replace my 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata and was looking at the 3rd get Miata's and found this one when looking at a Miata.

Well, pulled the trigger today, drove her home a happy camper. Well, since my wife was out and about when I bought it, I had to go pick her up and take her to the dealer to grab my truck (which I had left to bring the T-Bird home).

Long story short, rainy conditions, and a quick loss of awareness in traffic resulted in me rear ending a Nissan Murano at around 15mph. Damage to them was pretty minimal at least visually. Damage to my T-Bird? buckled hood, cracked driver side fender, headlight is history, deformed the number cover somewhat plus whatever damage lurks below the hood.

So, my question is...would you get it fixed? Insurance is not covering it since I only put liability coverage on it due to the extremely limited miles it was going to see (obviously in hindsight, would've, could've, should've). It's not going to be cheap since body parts aren't exactly plentiful or cheap. I paid 8k for it and felt I got a pretty good deal and am leaning towards fixing it as long as it doesn't exceed 5k.

I would keep it if you can fix for $4k or less. Haggerty's is the best insurance carrier for these vehicles in my opinion. We have 4 convertibles- 2-2002 T-birds, 2003 Solara & 1968 GTO. Cost is only $200 each with no deductible!

Ouch!
Try Ebay?
I was looking at front headlights.. $500 new..
There are some after market replacemnts I've seen for around $90.
Good luck!

I would keep it if you can fix for $4k or less. Haggerty's is the best insurance carrier for these vehicles in my opinion. We have 4 convertibles- 2-2002 T-birds, 2003 Solara & 1968 GTO. Cost is only $200 each with no deductible!

After I read your post about Hagerty, I went on their site last week to get a quote for my 2002 T-bird. Ours has 17K miles and I had a replacement cost of $20,000 (what we paid for it last year) .. They came back with $651 with $200 deductible.. I just renewed my insurance and it's still grouped with our other two daily drivers and it's a shade less then what Hagerty quoted.. I did like the fact you could almost dictate the replacement cost you wanted on your car with Hagerty, which is probably not the case I have with Travelers... BTW I'm in Upstate NY which makes a difference...

Sorry about your loss,but with not seeing your car I still would say fix it.Replace both headlamps /aftermarket headlamps are easy to find on the web.They come complete w/bulbs for around $80.00 and will make your bird look better than it did with shiny new paint.I own a red 02 with 23000 miles on it and do not ever plan to sell it.PS,Mine had almost the same damage,about $6000.00 worth about 4 years ago getting hit at about 15 mph by a insured elderly man.My car never see"s rain.Looks better than it did before it got hit.

Also i agree with the post above I have no problems at all with my red 02.I do maintain the daylights out of it and do not beat it up.I am a retired trucker Avid streetroder ,just sold a 66 chevy nova SS and looking for a T-Bucket but will never sell my Bird.

Been there done that,OEM are a lot more than aftermarket,trust me,Go with the aftermarket.They last just as long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pondered the same thing last March, and also accident free 30 years, but then decided to just fork out the money for full coverage. After reading your story, I definitely won't be tempted again!

Try Hagerty or some insurance company that covers classic cars.You will find the coverage they offer, in most cases is less expensive and far better coverage than a regular insurance company. I dont know if it matters but i believe our birds will increase in value as time goes on. I really love my 02.

See if you can top this - sis-in-law's new Dodge minivan was totaled before she got it off the lot. Speeding pickup truck came across three lanes to the curb lane to try to beat a yellow light, hit the van, ripped the front end off it, engine on the ground - totaled it. The front tires were just into the street, the back tires were still on the dealer's lot!

See if you can top this - sis-in-law's new Dodge minivan was totaled before she got it off the lot. Speeding pickup truck came across three lanes to the curb lane to try to beat a yellow light, hit the van, ripped the front end off it, engine on the ground - totaled it. The front tires were just into the street, the back tires were still on the dealer's lot!
I cannot top that but I was stopped at a light by the driveway to the Chevy dealer. I watched a guy in his brand new truck pull out and when he turned left his front tire did not. The whole front end hit the ground.

So what was the end of the story @tweak89 ? Did you get it fixed?

Back