mileage slump | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

mileage slump

• Thread starter Thread starter dchamb9414
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D
Reaction score
my '02 is giving me 50 miles less per tank over the last few months. the shop put the computer reader on and got no codes, so they think i don't know what i am talking about. Who this day and age doesn't keep close watch on mileage? the only other symptom is a minor tremor on the steering wheel when idling. anyone have any thoughts on this? some say etyhonol (sp) causes this, but weve had that stuff a long time now.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Dave:
If you haven't changed the fuel filter lately, that may be the culprit. And, least expensive to try to make it better. Let us know....😎

No idea what fuel you're using, but if not one of the big guys, I'd try 2-3 tanks of Shell premium and see if that makes any difference.

i use shell midgrade now. i was told all stations have up to 10 per cent ethyl alcohol added to the gas. some stations place decals on the pumps stating this, but its not required i am told. the station i use has it on the pumps. the story is the more the alcohol, the worse the mileage. i just don't know. i changed the filter last service, though the k&n filters are supposed to be clean and re-use. they supposedly allow more air volume as well. i haven't been far since this though. i'll let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back