Lost key | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Lost key

• Thread starter Thread starter Frodo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frodo
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I have lost one of my keys and remote. It is in the housesomewhere I know, but I hate to not have a spare. I have a 2003 bird. I think it has a chip in it. Any idea of how much a dealer will charge for a new key and to program the chip? I will do the remote myself using another source found under one of the older threads. We have numerous Ford dealers in Houston. They tend to be ignorant on Tbirds. If you have an F150 pickup you are in luck. Any other way to get a key? Locksmith etc.?? Price? Is this a drive in fix or leave the car a day?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Frodo said:
I have lost one of my keys and remote. It is in the housesomewhere I know, but I hate to not have a spare. I have a 2003 bird. I think it has a chip in it. Any idea of how much a dealer will charge for a new key and to program the chip? I will do the remote myself using another source found under one of the older threads. We have numerous Ford dealers in Houston. They tend to be ignorant on Tbirds. If you have an F150 pickup you are in luck. Any other way to get a key? Locksmith etc.?? Price? Is this a drive in fix or leave the car a day?

As I recall its about $200 from a dealer and about half that from a locksmith equipped to handle this. I think the car has to go through a 30 minute wait cycle before it can be reprogramed. The mechanic will likely spend 45 minutes on it.

I went to a Ford dealer and bought an extra key for my 04 T'Bird, for @$20. He didn't have to cut it as it was a standard key, but I had to program it for my car. The instructions in the owners manual were easy to follow.

borchcp said:
I went to a Ford dealer and bought an extra key for my 04 T'Bird, for @$20. He didn't have to cut it as it was a standard key, but I had to program it for my car. The instructions in the owners manual were easy to follow.

Its easy as long as you have two original keys. Its a whole different ball game when you only have one key.

one key

unfortunately I have only one now. I will continue to look for the lost key and if I find it go get a few extra made.
Frodo

Duplicate key?

Hi there, After accidently flushing my keys down the toilet (don't ask!) 🙄 , I immediately went to the dealer in Hawthorne, CA, and they had a new one made and programmed for $70, within 30 minutes. (That was an expensive flush!!) It was for a 2003 bird. I was informed that if I was ever locked out of my car without a spare key, the car would have to be towed and it could costs hundreds to have a new key made. So, it's worth the preventative investment.

Thanks for the info

Bought my car used ( one Key)...thanks to this post, I went to the Dealer
today and had two (2) keys made and programmed.
$150.....but good insurance.

"Takin' care of Business"😀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back