2002 PATS Anti theft system triggered after using wrong key can't reset

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello All,
Newbie here. My Dad's 2002 is locked in anti theft mode and we can't recover. I'd appreciate any help.

Here is the story:
My Dad was given two keyrings when he purchased the car about 15 years ago. One ring contains the OEM Ford chip key which has always started the car. The other ring, has on it what appears to be the OEM Fob and a chipless copy of the OEM key. After having sat for two years we installed a new battery and started the car with the OEM chip key. Started immediately and ran fine. Shut it down to clear a path to the garage door. When he got back in the car to leave he mistakenly grabbed the chipless key. The starter engaged but without the key chip the PATS kicked in and killed the fuel pump. No start. After trying a couple times, he realized his mistake and inserted the correct OEM chip key. Unfortunately the anti theft system was now activated and with the LED flashing quickly did not allow the starter to even engage.

What we have tried:
1) The battery has been left disconnect overnight and the correct key tried after locking and unlocking the doors with both the OEM key and the Fob. Still no crank.
2) The key was turned to the "ON" postion (just before start position) with the led flasjing quickly and left for 45 minutes with a battery charger connected. Although after a few minutes the flashing stopped, trying to start resulted in no change.
3) Used a scanning tool to clear codes. Found only a fuel pump code (presumably due to the PATS shutting it down). Cleared code and repeated the "ON" postion 45 minute wait. This time when turning to "ON" there was no quick anti theft flashing. Thought we were all set, but after trying to start, no change. Quick flashing light came back.

Difficult to imagine that inserting the wriong key could result in the car "forgetting" the correct key. Please let me know if you have any ideas that might help.

Thanks for taking a look at my post, Daver

You may need to do a "hard reset" on the computer.
Disconnect both terminals from the battery, use a zip tie and bind them together tight. Wait 10 minutes and reconnect battery and give it a try. Simply disconnecting the battery doesn't drain down the capacitors in the computer system.

Back