K&N Air Filter | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

K&N Air Filter

• Thread starter Thread starter SanDiegoTBird
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

SanDiegoTBird said:
Anybody replaced the stock air filter with a K&N?
How do you like it?
Seem like an improvement?

Everyone I've heard installed it say they love it....

I've been using K & N products on my vehicles for years and just installed their air filter on my 'Bird about a month ago. It's a tight fit in that air box, I had a heck of a time getting the cover closed! I've noticed very minimal improvements in power and MPG but nothing to write home about. Even so, I figure a better breathing engine is a good thing even if I can't see anything dramatic. Also the reliability of the K & N filters is far superior to any OEM paper products out there. I would be VERY interested in a Typhoon Cold Air system; however, I'm not holding my breath! I don't think K & N would see enough profit in such a limited application to make it worth their while.

It sounds like its a done deal though. Late summer 2004 is the arrival date of it. Go sign up for the TBird newsletter at powersportcars.com they have pictures of the system installed. Its only for 03+ birds though.

Hubby talked with a performance mechanic and he said that the typhoon system was not worth the hassle. Here in So Cal I live on the coast so the temp is usually mild, in the 70's, but when I decide to go inland it can get up in the 100's. The mechanic said that if the engine got tuned for one it would run differently in the other. He also said that there was so little room around the engine, the filter would be open to the heat, while this is not so bad when the temp is mild and moving, but when it gets hot and you are driving around town it does not do any good. He advised just going to the K&N filter. (We were going to pay him to install it also.) 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back