1955 carburetor replacement for teapot

zeroroadkill

zeroroadkill

BlackBird Fly
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone replaced their Holley Teapot 4000 with an aftermarket carburetor? What type/make/model? What are the pit falls? Linkage, vacuum advance, electronic choke, kickdown linkage, fuel line, or fitment? Can you use the stock oil bath air filter?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Haven't done it but from all I've read the main issue is you need to also change to a 57-style distributor so the vacuum advance will work correctly. Don't know about the air filter issue but have not seen people saying that was an issue for them. Many convert the oil bath to a paper element. Studies by Chrysler back in the 50's showed engine wear was 100's of times greater with oil bath compared to the then new paper element filters. They measured cylinder wear, bearing wear, piston wear.

There is nothing wrong with the Teapot carburetor. Correctly assembled and they are as reliable and efficient as any other replacement

I have a 600 CFM Holley and an adapter plate on mine. I have the chrome oil bath air filter with and automatic trans. You will need a different bracket for the linkage. Runs great.

Here is a good reference from the Hot Rod Reverend on YouTube.

What about vacuum advance? Linkage? Any mods, distributor?

What about vacuum advance? Linkage? Any mods, distributor?
Not understanding the question. As already noted by Tom Alpers yom’ll need to change to a ‘57 distributor which is because of the different type of vacuum advance. You’ll also need the adapter plate and linkage as noted by Selfrich. So what isn’t clear to you?
And honestly I’d keep the teapot, have it restored by one of the Tbird suppliers or Holley.

I kind of agree, I’ve tried to keep her all original. Maybe I just need to get it rebuilt. Does anyone know of a reputable rebuilder? Thanks.

Back