1957 Air filter cleaner upgrades

cliffcostello

cliffcostello

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My mechanic who finally got my 1957 Ford Thunderbird (4160 Holley 4 BBL Carb) tuned and running pretty nice. I currently have a paper element filter (13-5/16 outside diameter, 2 inch height) ... my mechanic suggested going with a free-er flowing air filter or a slightly taller one, to get a little better airflow for my engine. Does anyone know of any brands/filters that are the 13-5/16 outside diameter that might be 2-1/2 to 3 inches in height? I have the room to handle that extra height ... but haven't been able to find any other than the 2 inch height. I'd even settle for a 2 inch height, but similar to a K&N type cloth filter. Recommendations???

Attachments

• 120307976_3465965433518255_1603723500460508119_n.jpg
    120307976_3465965433518255_1603723500460508119_n.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 284280454_1841332866064143_6284179059376203584_n.jpg
    284280454_1841332866064143_6284179059376203584_n.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 344426915_234968849130036_3414063631793668252_n.jpg
    344426915_234968849130036_3414063631793668252_n.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 21
My mechanic who finally got my 1957 Ford Thunderbird (4160 Holley 4 BBL Carb) tuned and running pretty nice. I currently have a paper element filter (13-5/16 outside diameter, 2 inch height) ... my mechanic suggested going with a free-er flowing air filter or a slightly taller one, to get a little better airflow for my engine. Does anyone know of any brands/filters that are the 13-5/16 outside diameter that might be 2-1/2 to 3 inches in height? I have the room to handle that extra height ... but haven't been able to find any other than the 2 inch height. I'd even settle for a 2 inch height, but similar to a K&N type cloth filter. Recommendations???
You may try searching online the various brands of filters to see what they make. You may not really need a taller filter, but if you wish that is no detriment your car.

No insights on your question; but where’d you get that food tray and (I assume plastic) food shown in one of the photos?

A taller filter may interfere with the hood
and
I’m not quite sure there would be a notable increase in performance

try driving it without the air filter to see

... my mechanic suggested going with a free-er flowing air filter or a slightly taller one, to get a little better airflow for my engine. Does anyone know of any brands/filters that are the 13-5/16 outside diameter that might be 2-1/2 to 3 inches in height? I have the room to handle that extra height ... but haven't been able to find any other than the 2 inch height. I'd even settle for a 2 inch height, but similar to a K&N type cloth filter. Recommendations???
An unfortunate built-in air flow limitation of the '57 air cleaner may have more to do with reduced air flow than the available filter area or the amount of air the filter can flow.

With a standard filter in place the lid is not quite 1/2 inch above the upper curve of the base. The vacuum thru the carburetor has been known to suck the lid down and block it off. Preventing that is the purpose of the 3 bumps on the upper shoulder of the base of most '57 air cleaner housings.

If you have the height available and can't find a slightly taller filter, I'm guessing you might improve the air flow by raising the lid a bit and keep the stock style air filter.
Some 1 inch wide stick-on weatherstrip foam about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick placed under the lid where it sits on the upper side of the air filter could nearly double the existing height measurement for air intake.

Attachments

• air cleaner clearance 2.jpg
    air cleaner clearance 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • tired 57 air cleaner.jpg
    tired 57 air cleaner.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 8
  • air cleaner clearance.jpg
    air cleaner clearance.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
An unfortunate built-in air flow limitation of the '57 air cleaner may have more to do with reduced air flow than the available filter area or the amount of air the filter can flow.

With a standard filter in place the lid is not quite 1/2 inch above the upper curve of the base. The vacuum thru the carburetor has been known to suck the lid down and block it off. Preventing that is the purpose of the 3 bumps on the upper shoulder of the base of most '57 air cleaner housings.

If you have the height available and can't find a slightly taller filter, I'm guessing you might improve the air flow by raising the lid a bit and keep the stock style air filter.
Some 1 inch wide stick-on weatherstrip foam about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick placed under the lid where it sits on the upper side of the air filter could nearly double the existing height measurement for air intake.
It seems to me that if you raise the lid without having installed a taller filter, you have negated the function of the filter. Without contact between the top of the filter and the inferior surface of the lid, unfiltered air would go through the remaining gap. I installed a more modern paper filter assembly, and the problem I had was height. There isn't a whole lot of space between the wing nut and the scoop. I went on an online air filter site and entered the diameter and height and the perfect filter magically appeared! I love (and hate) the internet.

It seems to me that if you raise the lid without having installed a taller filter, you have negated the function of the filter. Without contact between the top of the filter and the inferior surface of the lid, unfiltered air would go through the remaining gap.
1. It would be great if you would share the part number/manufacturer of the taller filter. Please.
2. I understand the type of foam @dmsfrr is talking about would prevent airflow. I picture he's using the same type of closed cell foam used in weatherstripping, run in a continuous bead across the top of the filter/bottom of the cover. No air should get through it.

1. It would be great if you would share the part number/manufacturer of the taller filter. Please.
2. I understand the type of foam @dmsfrr is talking about would prevent airflow. I picture he's using the same type of closed cell foam used in weatherstripping, run in a continuous bead across the top of the filter/bottom of the cover. No air should get through it.
The Wix site has a search by size function ( https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/FilterBySize.aspx?catid=1&styleid=1 ). The closest I found were as follows: 42102 (2.546 x 13.125), 42081 (2.75 x 13.04), 42113 (2.51 x 13), 42116 (2.822 x 13). I would assume there are similar search features on other brands, as well. Hopefully that helps!

I find the original set-up works just fine. It's not easy to get more performance out of an engine whose roots are a truck engine. Torque was more important than horsepower.

I find the original set-up works just fine. It's not easy to get more performance out of an engine whose roots are a truck engine. Torque was more important than horsepower.
I went with a paper filter more for ease than horsepower. The oil bath makes a huge mess when the top is taken off. I'm simply too cheap to pay for the conversion that looks original. I'll likely have my 'Bird until I die, and it's not a show car, so I figure it doesn't really matter what I do with it. I've kept the original parts for whoever gets it when I'm gone, though they're worth quite a bit. The best mod I've done so far was the switch to an electronic ignition system. She runs like a top!

I went with a paper filter more for ease than horsepower. The oil bath makes a huge mess when the top is taken off. I'm simply too cheap to pay for the conversion that looks original. I'll likely have my 'Bird until I die, and it's not a show car, so I figure it doesn't really matter what I do with it. I've kept the original parts for whoever gets it when I'm gone, though they're worth quite a bit. The best mod I've done so far was the switch to an electronic ignition system. She runs like a top!

I've kept mine as original as possible. I admire the old school points & condenser. easy to diagnose and tinker.

Yes on the electronic ignition!! I put a Pertronix unit in mine and new coil ... runs awesome now.

Back