humming noise from engine for 15 minutes after shut off. | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

humming noise from engine for 15 minutes after shut off.

• Thread starter Thread starter staudy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
staudy

staudy

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
After a 20 mile trip the noise was like a humm and felt like it was coming from the top of engine below the main cover with the T Bird logo. Maybe an injector solenoid??? It wasn't in front by the elec fan. 2003 with 30k.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

No wonder he quit replying.....These replies would scare any car owner....
Why do online Forums tend to be so harsh or severe all the time.....It isn't always something bad. Cars make noises....that's a fact of life and not all of them mean something bad is happening.

Like I mentioned a while back...Pull off the decorative engine cover and look and listen when it's doing it... You should easily be able to pinpoint at least the area it's coming from and sub sequentially the component...

Now both our Expedition and Grand Marquis make a similar noise after shut off...
On the Expedition it's the EVAP Purge valve bleeding off tank pressure.... I can open up the gas cap and it stops.....On the Mercury it's the High side and low side A/C pressures balancing out after shut off....

Either way neither sound poses a problem and are completely normal noises...

Not everything has to be severe or terrible so there is no need to scare the crap out of people with bad head gasket theories and such....

Just my 2 cents....

Cheers!

here's a tip for you to help pinpoint engine noises, take a stick (as pehaps a
2" long x half in. dowel rod), place one end at your ear and move the rod around the suspected area, placing it firmly on the engine and when you get to where the noises originates, you will know. i have a 94 yr. old uncle mechanic (still working), i first saw do this when i was a teenager and i have used this "high tech" system many times myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back