How to get the 280 HP in the 2002 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

How to get the 280 HP in the 2002

• Thread starter Thread starter HorsePowerJunkie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

HPJ: I to am interested how they acheived the additional hp. I don't think Ford made any major changes in the power train, but don't know. I suspect most of it is electronic adjustments. Anyone out there with a comprehensive and understandable explanation? Good day to all.

HPJ:

As I've stated before, this site has a massive amount of information hidden away from previous posts. Go to search, type in "horsepower or hp" and you'll find your answer in several different threads.

Good luck, it seems to me that the easiest way to get the added hp is to buy a 2003!

Jim

I think that you'll find there's a chip change as well as possibly a different exhaust or at least it's configuration.
Possibly other items as well. Start with fordchip.com but do your search here as well

The 2003 engine gets its extra horsepower by VVT. Variable Valve Timing. These are major engine changes.

Originally posted by HorsePowerJunki
The 2003's have 280 HP, and the 2002's have 252 HP. Anyone know how to get the 2002's to produce the 280 HP like the 2003's?

HPJ:

I'm too happy with "Kandi" my red/red/partial 2002 to part with her and get a 2003.

The 2002's are fast enough to get me in all the trouble I need, plus they're really made to go slow so eveyone can appreciate their beauty.

As you can see from some of the posts here, the changes to the 2003 were significant.

Jim

Roush Racing has a Ford approved electronic calibration to uprate the horsepower to 280 H.P. I've heard it cost $400. You must take the car to them so they can do the download. Does not affect warranty, that's why it is labled Ford approved

With all due respect to the knowlegable posters on this thread, I still contend that Ford made no major changes to the power train. They did not redesign the heads. They did not change the vavle train. They did not redesign the crank. They did reprogram the chip. For all you 2003'ers out there you paid for a new EPROM and new programming. Flame away.

Just announced by my contact at Team Ford here in Marietta, Georgia...we now have a Ford Authorized computer upgrade opportunity for the new Thunderbird by Fordchip.com to add horsepower by reprogramming the computer that controls the Thunderbird engine and by precision tuning the transmission shift patterns.

Ford Motor Company recognizes this program and will stand behind their warranties as written for the Thunderbird. This precision tuning will not affect your warranty since it is authorized and being performed by Ford.

Representatives will be in Atlanta at Team Ford only for 2 days to perform this service on the Thunderbird's.

The dates for this computer upgrade will be Saturday, April 26 and Sunday, April 27 from 9:00-5:00. The cost is $350.00 for TBF members. ($400 for everyone else), which includes pre-upgrade spin on the dynometer and an after-upgrade spin to see the accurate horsepower increase that just came from the computer upgrade on your Thunderbird.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I do not know how to get hold of these people, but as you can see it is out there. With a little research, I'm sure one can find the source to get this upgrade.

Valve Train

Originally posted by christi60
With all due respect to the knowlegable posters on this thread, I still contend that Ford made no major changes to the power train. They did not redesign the heads. They did not change the vavle train. They did not redesign the crank. They did reprogram the chip. For all you 2003'ers out there you paid for a new EPROM and new programming. Flame away.

Major modifications to valve train are required for VVT. If Ford used the oil operated timing chain advance/retard method, then I would consider that a major upgrade when you have 4 camshafts to deal with. Dual Overhead Cam on a V8 means 4 overhead camshafts. Ford would need to add maybe 4 gears and 2 hydraulic cylinders to move the valve timing.

Last edited:
Gotta' get that HP upgrade!

Many thanks for all the great info gents!

Anyone have any phone numbers for Team Ford, Roush, or FordChip please? I would definitely like to have the upgrade done! (Imagine that, HorsePowerJunkie wanting a HP upgrade ๐Ÿ˜€ )

Also, did the 2002's not have V V T ? ๐Ÿ˜• I obviously didn't do my homehork on the engine, I've definitely got to get up to speed!

Many thanks!

HPJ

Re: Gotta' get that HP upgrade!

No, the 2002 did not have V V T. It required all the polution control junk. With VVT you throw all the polution junk away (like EGR and EPR valves and wiring). All this can be accomplished by VVT while getting more horsepower and better gas mileage in the 2003 engine.

Originally posted by HorsePowerJunki
Many thanks for all the great info gents!

Anyone have any phone numbers for Team Ford, Roush, or FordChip please? I would definitely like to have the upgrade done! (Imagine that, HorsePowerJunkie wanting a HP upgrade ๐Ÿ˜€ )

Also, did the 2002's not have V V T ? ๐Ÿ˜• I obviously didn't do my homehork on the engine, I've definitely got to get up to speed!

Many thanks!

HPJ

After a rediculous amount of time and numerous email attemps, FordChip.com finally responded and let me know that about all they have been able to accomplish is "about" a 15 HP gain...not exactly worth it, huh...

Bummer...

Any other suggestions please?

If you could add 15 to the 2003, that would be sweet!

i'm not exactly sure what you were looking for, but if the 2002 is rated at 259, the 2003 at 280, what they told you is about a 6 hp difference, a difference that falls within the variances created by a dirty air filter, lousy gas, and differences between vehicles. still represents a near 6% increase with nearly zero labor.

15 HP

Is this 15HP at rear wheels or at engine output? Someone stated that there is about 20% power loss from engine to rear wheels.

Originally posted by HorsePowerJunkie
After a rediculous amount of time and numerous email attemps, FordChip.com finally responded and let me know that about all they have been able to accomplish is "about" a 15 HP gain...not exactly worth it, huh...

Bummer...

Any other suggestions please?

Re: 15 HP

I could not edit the original so I am adding this.

If you have 15HP at the rear wheels and there is 20% loss, we have 1.2 x 15HP = 18HP. Now 18 HP and 252 HP makes 270 HP.

That is respectable and comes close to the 280HP of the 2003 Tbird. (3.7% less power than the 03).

Originally posted by HKS
Is this 15HP at rear wheels or at engine output? Someone stated that there is about 20% power loss from engine to rear wheels.
๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back