1957 C6 Transmission Swap

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Go slow and be careful, you only want to do it once.

You will need to modify the engine compartment also the transmission tunnel. The 390 weighs more than the 312 motor you will need to add heavier Springs and shocks.... You have your work cut out....

You will possibly need to make a new cross member, quarter inch steel will suffice. Tail shaft isolator mounts are available at Summit or Jegs. Be sure of degree angle that trans and motor sit. Look at speedometer drive gearing before trans is in place. Much easier to determine correct match on floor than in car. Good luck persevere don’t give up.

You will need to modify the engine compartment also the transmission tunnel. The 390 weighs more than the 312 motor you will need to add heavier Springs and shocks.... You have your work cut out....
I've got both engines, and from what I remember about the specs, the 390 is only about 50 lbs more than the 292. so weight shouldn't be an issue, I think I gain that much on steak and beer night.. And I'll bet you could drop that 50 lbs with an aluminum intake if you cared

Wouldn't it be easier and less expensive to buy a retro kit car? New frame and aftermarket body would make it easier and less destructive than trying to shoehorn something in an already tight substructure. You already have the engine and trans you want. I guess I watch too much Motortrend on TV.
I've done many engine type swaps and as long as there is physical room for the new engine, modifications are pretty easy to do.

Got a 390FE HP and a C6 to put in a 57 Bird. Anyone know of any tips for me? Thanks!
A friend had a '57 with a 406 many years ago. I have seen various engine swaps at conventions. People do it. It seems that the major issue is clearing the steering box. r&p steering swap could solve that. Weight is not that different for the two engine families. I would guess you know that motor mounts for Fe series change in 1965. if you start looking through the web you may find some answers. I am not sure if anyone still makes off-the-shelf motor mounts. Good luck to you it sounds like fun to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the motor mount change mentioned by jack-in-sac they didn't really "change" , two more mounting holes were added to the pattern. That happened in 1964.
Don't forget that all F/E series engines can also use a front mount, commonly used in heavier trucks. Easily adaptable to almost anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you know Ward, Carroll Shelby was my boyhood hero, (still is).
As for the motor mount change mentioned by jack-in-sac they didn't really "change" , two more mounting holes were added to the pattern. That happened in 1964.
Don't forget that all F/E series engines can also use a front mount, commonly used in heavier trucks. Easily adaptable to almost anything.
I plan on utilizing the front mount and fabricating brackets for the side mounts. If I need to I will modify the stock P/S to get the gear out of the way. Maybe rack and pinion. Got a pretty good Bird that had been stored in a barn for a long time. No engine, trans, radiator, master cylinder/booster. A little rust in the floor pans but will be welding in repair sections soon. Will add front discs with updated dual reservoir master cylinder and booster. Thanks for the reply.

If using a front mount you won't need side mounts. Look around local wrecking yards for trucks F500-F900. Engines will be from 330 to 391. Year range 1965-1979. Cabovers have the same mount also.

Back