How many have had to replace their battery? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

How many have had to replace their battery?

• Thread starter Thread starter Quickdraw
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quickdraw

Quickdraw

2004 Member of the Year
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
How many people have changed their Tbird battery? I also have a 2002 Lincoln LS - sister to the tbird - same engine & drive train & battery. I'm trading in the Lincoln with 97k and just bought a battery for it two months ago - I was getting a charging system error & thought it must be the battery. It turned out to be the alternator.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Haven't done it yet, which is a big surprise given the age of the car. On the other hand it only has about 26K on it. I understand the most important thing is to make sure it is vented since it's in the trunk.

Ski

how many have had to replace a battery?

We've had to replace the battery twice on my wife's 05. The first time I had it replaced at the Lincoln dealer. Then a year or so later, during a routine checkup at the Ford dealer, I was told that the battery had a dead cell. I rememberd at the time that I had replace the battery in the recent past, but couldn't remember where. (Old age?)
Since I was under a time crunch I told them to put in a new one and let me have the old one.
Later I checked the records and found the receipt from the lincoln dealer. As you might expect, if I had remembered, I could have gotten money back on a new one if I had taken it back to the lincoln dealer.
Lesson learned, don't be too hasty and keep the records handy.
Jim

2002 and still original, but then I do use a Battery Manager.

Battery

Still have the original battery in my 03' and no problems. When stored for winter (6mos) I disconnect battery. In spring, connect battery. Never had to recharge.

My 2002 is still the original battery - I store it for about five months and leave the battery connected without a trickle charger. I usually start the car once during the five months and let it run for 20 minutes or so. Sometimes in the spring the battery wont fire up the car but one jump start keeps it going until its ready for storage again.

Being in the trunk seems to greatly extend the life of the battery but it looks like yrbamje has had bad luck with his.

2002 and still original, but then I do use a Battery Manager.

+1 Except the brand I use is made by BatteryMinder. I do know when the day comes I need to replace the battery it will be replaced with an AGM battery. AGM (Absorbtion Glass Mat) batteries don't vent therefore they don't need the vent tube to the outside as with the T-bird's original battery.

+1 Except the brand I use is made by BatteryMinder. I do know when the day comes I need to replace the battery it will be replaced with an AGM battery. AGM (Absorbtion Glass Mat) batteries don't vent therefore they don't need the vent tube to the outside as with the T-bird's original battery.

Thanks Birdman, I had not heard of AGM before. I may look into it though

don't use the alarm system on the car as it is a constant draw down. i park my pickup behind the car for its security. i have an '02 with original battery.

2002, 1 battery replaced just this year. I had issues in that the battery died and I couldn't get into the trunk to jump start it. George gave me the information on finding the trunk release behind the driver's chair. When I tried to recharge the battery it wouldn't hold a charge, cost me $110 for the replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back