1957 Power Steering Tracking and Turning Issue

TJShea

TJShea

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello. Neither Santa nor Rudolf could give me a hint on this issue. Thought I would try here since the TBird forums have worked so well for me. My limited mechanical skills have hit another wall. My 57 is my first experience with a 50’s car and all of the idiosyncrasies of that development era.

My 57, built Jan 57 so I am assuming it is considered an “early 57,” has the stock power steering. Earlier this year I had to have the steering gear box replaced. Now however, the steering just does not seem to “feel right.” When I am steering through a curve, even a gentle curve, I must make constant slight back and forth steering corrections, or I will move out of the lane. It is not a smooth steering through the curve. It seems more pronounced when going to the left than the right.

When making a turn at an intersection, the wheel will not return to center as I loosen my grip like a modern car, I must turn the wheel back to center. I am not sure if this is just how these older power steering set-ups are, or if I might have an issue with perhaps the ram cylinder or control valve? (Just a guess on my part). I had the control valve replaced 2 years ago, but frankly the place I used for this and other work at the same time has had to be redone by a subsequent restorer I have been lucky enough to stumble into. I did not redo the replaced control valve.

I do not have leaking fluid from the power steering system, nor is there any ”squealing” or similar noise one sometimes gets. I thought perhaps the ram cylinder or control valves could be leaking within the housing, but not dripping out? OR, the system just operates that way.

Thanks for any insight.

Are you running bias or radial tires?
A wheel alignment should fix the wheel not returning back to center after a turn
They will/should check your steering and front end parts for wear

I have almost new Coker radials. There is no drift when driving straight, and no pulling when braking. Having the alignment gone over is a good ides. I would have thought that would have been done when replacing the steering gear box, but maybe not. Thanks for the insight,

Hello. Neither Santa nor Rudolf could give me a hint on this issue. Thought I would try here since the TBird forums have worked so well for me. My limited mechanical skills have hit another wall. My 57 is my first experience with a 50’s car and all of the idiosyncrasies of that development era.

My 57, built Jan 57 so I am assuming it is considered an “early 57,” has the stock power steering. Earlier this year I had to have the steering gear box replaced. Now however, the steering just does not seem to “feel right.” When I am steering through a curve, even a gentle curve, I must make constant slight back and forth steering corrections, or I will move out of the lane. It is not a smooth steering through the curve. It seems more pronounced when going to the left than the right.

When making a turn at an intersection, the wheel will not return to center as I loosen my grip like a modern car, I must turn the wheel back to center. I am not sure if this is just how these older power steering set-ups are, or if I might have an issue with perhaps the ram cylinder or control valve? (Just a guess on my part). I had the control valve replaced 2 years ago, but frankly the place I used for this and other work at the same time has had to be redone by a subsequent restorer I have been lucky enough to stumble into. I did not redo the replaced control valve.

I do not have leaking fluid from the power steering system, nor is there any ”squealing” or similar noise one sometimes gets. I thought perhaps the ram cylinder or control valves could be leaking within the housing, but not dripping out? OR, the system just operates that way.

Thanks for any insight.
Yes you have an early '57. Mine was built Feb. 1st '57 and has '56 power steering hydraulics. I think the change-over was around April or May but has been documented. The vacuum hose to the booster is also rare. A rubber hose all the way from the intake manifold over the valve covers to the booster but is correct per the restoration manual.
Is there any play in the wheel when at rest with engine off? There maybe something loose in your front end geometry.

With what you describe it sounds like a control valve issue. OR you have something wrong with the front end suspension. An alignment check is the cheapest thing to do. If all is good then I would look at the control valve. It could be simply out of adjustment. A '50s car should track just like a new car, only with a softer feel on the wheel. The technology is excellent.

Yes you have an early '57. Mine was built Feb. 1st '57 and has '56 power steering hydraulics. I think the change-over was around April or May but has been documented. The vacuum hose to the booster is also rare. A rubber hose all the way from the intake manifold over the valve covers to the booster but is correct per the restoration manual.
Is there any play in the wheel when at rest with engine off? There maybe something loose in your front end geometry.
No, there is no play when the engine is off, etc. However, it looks like my entire front end should get a good going over by the folks who know much more than I do about these things. My January "gripe sheet" for the mechanics just got longer. Thanks for the help

While you are are at it, have the rear suspension looked at as well. Worn bushings,bad shocks, loose u- bolts can all add to poor handling. Sometimes the tail wags the dog.

Earlier this year I had to have the steering gear box replaced. Now however, the steering just does not seem to “feel right.” When I am steering through a curve, even a gentle curve, I must make constant slight back and forth steering corrections, or I will move out of the lane. It is not a smooth steering through the curve. It seems more pronounced when going to the left than the right.

When making a turn at an intersection, the wheel will not return to center as I loosen my grip like a modern car, I must turn the wheel back to center. I had the control valve replaced 2 years ago, but frankly the place I used for this and other work at the same time has had to be redone by a subsequent restorer I have been lucky enough to stumble into. I did not redo the replaced control valve.
Just a thought, when the control valve was installed did they measure the distance from the center of the control valve ball stud to the center of the left hand connecting rod stud or hole? The distance must be 9.5 inches.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Distance.png

Thanks for any insight.
Did they replace it with a box for PS or a manual steering box? There is a difference between the two also the ps control must be centered and the new steering Box worm gear adjusted properly

Did they replace it with a box for PS or a manual steering box? There is a difference between the two also the ps control must be centered and the new steering Box worm gear adjusted properly
As far as I know, the steering boxes were the same, power or non-power. I believe the idler arm was different between power and non-power steering. Don't know what else may be different.

Just because the steering box is new does not mean it is set up correctly. The steering box has 2 adjustments, worm bearing preload and over-center ( sector ). If the either is too tight you could experience non-return after a corner and binding. A good alignment shop could check these easily. The boxes are the same, and the length of the idler arm must match the length of the pitman arm on the steering box. That is why manual and p/s call for different idler arms.

Back