Have sales stopped? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Have sales stopped?

• Thread starter Thread starter Norman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears there's been a big decline lately for the new Thunderbird. That's not a critical statement because I like this car better than any other I've ever owned. However, now you can find them sitting unsold on dealer lots when just a short time ago, all of a dealer's allocation was sold long before the cars arrived from the factory. What has happened? Did the people who were unable to get a new TBird lose interest and buy something else? Did Ford produce a lot more cars than it planned to at first? Or, is the winter weather that has dried up sales?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Norman,

I've counted 8 Birds in the Kinston area, which is kind of a large number for a town of 28,000. Evans Ford was allocated 3 cars in year 1, and Amadeus was the first of them. They've since sold 5 more, getting them from other dealers in the area that are not moving the cars. I know one of them came from Jacksonville...Sanders Ford asked Evans to take one of the 2 that they had, since the troops were starting to pull out of LeJeune....that one was a white one with a black top, and the buyer attends the same church as I do. Fortunately, I have the only T-Bird Blue car. There are a couple of red ones, 3 black ones, 2 whites.

Originally posted by Norman:
What has happened? Did the people who were unable to get a new TBird lose interest and buy something else? Did Ford produce a lot more cars than it planned to at first? Or, is the winter weather that has dried up sales?

IMO....
Winter Weather always hurts convertable sales. I would not expect to sell a Mustang Convertable all Winter.

Weak Job Security in jobplace, weak economy.

Consumer Debt for consumable goods and services. (credit card debt)

Last Year's model!

Over Production. 30,000+ it quite a large market to meet for a 2 seater 40,000 cars.

On the subject of slowdown in T'Bird sales - Could it be that there is only a small market for personal luxury,two seat convertibles? Perhaps the 2002 models soaked up a good portion of that limited demand. Is this why Ford produced two seater T'Birds for only several years in the 50s?

Slowdown!!! Should be here in hi tec, but not.
I live In Austin Texas and as of now there are 7 New 2003 Birds on lots (3) and at least 2 2002. The dealers here still want MSRP +++ on 2003. But they also say make offer.
I have a new Red, Red, & red accent that should be here any day from a dealer near here at a good deal compared to local dealers. Will see, Hope We like it as we did in 55-57.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back