hardtop Roof gasket | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

hardtop Roof gasket

• Thread starter Thread starter glh7767
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
a while back we had a thread talking about the redesigned hardtop gasket that was supposed to be released by ford to replace the often discusses and much hated plastic junk. i haven't heard anything recently, and with fall approaching i'm thinking ahead to hardtop time again. did ford ever develop an order number for this? my recollection is that it was supposed to be a no cost replacement. i'd appreciate any information. if memory serves me, we even emailed a ford dealer or rep and left names with him.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hardtop Gasket...get your name on the list!!!

the owner of Prestige Ford of Garland, TX is actually working on this for me...I'm waiting for the fix to be approved by Ford...they called and added my name to the list///they are saying within one month...

this is the story that made me look,,,
http://wardsauto.com/microsites/new...d=10250&pageid=1120&Siteid=26&magazineid=1004
Ford turned to Decoma, a Toronto-area subsidiary of Magna International Inc., for help.

“Last summer, Ford asked Decoma for assistance in providing a solution,” the supplier says in a statement to Ward’s. “Working with Ford as a full-service supplier, the scuff molding was designed to provide the Thunderbird owner with an attractive trim component to prevent scratching while enhancing the appearance of the vehicle. A win-win all around.”

The molding acts like a shield. “You don’t even know it’s there with the hardtop on,” Says Scanlon, who wrote to Ford Chairman and CEO Bill Ford Jr. that the trim add-on is “beautiful” and that he intends to keep his T’Bird as a family heirloom.

The auto maker and his dealer – Sycamore Ford in Sycamore, IL, – “bent over backwards,” he tells Ward’s. A Decoma representative traveled to Scanlon’s home to personally oversee the installation.

The ’02 Thunderbird was Motor Trend’s Car of the Year despite other problems that emerged following its introduction. The car’s rollout was marked by a production shutdown caused by an engine overheating problem and a recall blamed on a seatbelt defect.

emayne@primediabusiness.com

here's the reply from the owner of the Ford delaership...they are great...

Bob.

It is going to be tomorrow before I have any answers for you. I sent this long rambling email to Jerald to look at and research. I came into the office for a short time this afternoon and went to follow up to see what he found out...and lo and behold he is out sick today and has not even seen the email I sent. I have now assigned the task to someone else that IS here....but it's late so I suspect it will be tomorrow or Wednesday before I get any solid answers. Sorry for the delay...I did not intend for this to drag out.

Jerry Reynolds
Owner, Prestige Ford of Garland, TX and Prestige Ford of Edmond, OK.
Phone: (972) 864-3673 Fax: (972) 864-3644

Tune into the Jerry Reynolds Auto Advice Show Saturday 4 to 6, on WBAP 820 AM or on the web at WBAP.com or our website at www.carguyshow.com

I'm located in dallas texas and have the whsper white 2003...TEXAS you must wear your Hardtop!!! Hot Hot!

😕

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for that reply. please keep me advised of what you find. beyond that, however, someone from ford was actually keeping a list that a number of us placed our name on. in theory, the discussion was ford was developing a part number for the gasket that you described, and was supposed to be working out how these would be supplied to 2002 owners. i've never heard back from the ford guy, and i've forgotten to whom the info was sent. when i discuss this with my local dealer, they've never heard of it.
thanks again for the reply.

SS Strip?

Simplybob:
Did you ever hear back from that dealer, Prestige Ford, that was looking into the Stainless Steel Strips we read about in the Wards article.
I think it would greatly improve the look of the car as well

George, wasn't there talk of another company going to make the strips? I had phone numbers for the Dacoma people responsibile for developing the strips for Ford but the numbers are locked up in Thunderbird fan hell and I no longer have access to them.

Quickdraw:
Yes, there were 1 or 2 mfg'rs going to make the SS Strips but then they seemed to go cold. I'll look around here and find you that number for you and post it when I find it.
BTW, I just responded to your PM by replying on a PM. Hope you got it.

QD: Yes it's under Stainless gasket. I'll repost the info there.

Heres a photo of the new Ford solution for paint wear caused by the hardtop. The part number is: 4W6Z-76202W30-AA Many, if not most, people get the kit from their dealer for free as a warranty item. However its unclear if the factory is absorbing the expense or if the dealer provides them. If you have to pay, it runs about $60.

Attachments

• kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 153
Aside from being thicker, that new kit is 4 pieces. I don't know if it was the process before, but these you are supposed to put on while the alcohol solution is still wet and move them into place...sounds alot easier than when I've done it dry

I just told the parts guy that these new kits were replacements for the ones that came with the car. And that they had to be replaced evreytime you changed the top or 3000 miles. He gave them to me under warranty.
Every dealer will act differently though.

hardtop gasket

Thanks guys, was able to call the dealer with the part number, got the kit, under warrenty, installed it and it got rid of the rattles in the top.
Put them on per instructions. I can assume that they have to be removed when I take the top off. But anyway having the part number made getting the kit a whole lot easier. 🙂

hambone: I don't think you have to remove them. They're supposed to be good for 50,000 miles (if we can believe that).
However, depending on your car color, you may have to remove them if un-sightly. You may be also able to re-use them. (Worth a try)
Of course I wouldn't buy these same (Ford) strips when you use them all up. I'd rather buy the invinca-shield strips for $9.00. Thicker and more plyable, same as the invisible bra's they sell for cars.
Glad we could be of help to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.