Hardtop Protection Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to everyone for offering advice/suggestions, and sorry for digging up this dead horse to beat it some more. :) I FINALLY had some success with my dealer this morning, and the tape kit is now on order under warranty. I guess I just needed to talk to the right person. For now I'll try it and see what happens. If, like most of you, I end up deciding that the tape is unacceptable, I'll go with one of your alternatives.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello all, I haven't checked posts in quite awhile, but I have some questions on feedback regarding the stainless steel strips from QAA. My car is black and I do have some scuff marks where the hard top rests. Also, since I have a 2002, I never received the plastic strips and from the sound of how they work, I don't think I'd like to use them. However, I'm intrigued by the stainless steel strips. They look pretty good in the pictures and they would cover up the faint scuff marks that I have. My only reluctance comes from the fact that I have a Neiman Marcus Edition and I really don't want to alter its original factory appearance. I also store the car in the winter, so the hardtop doesn't get a whole lot of use...just about a month in the spring and a month in the fall. I have a hoist so that I can install it and remove it whenever I want, but since I only drive it in good weather, most of my summer driving is with the top down anyway.

How many of you out there have installed these strips and could you please give me your feedback with respect to your satisfaction with the product. Any help is greatly appreciated.

NMJeff
It's my Black 2002 that QAA used to model this strip and take their pictures. I really like the stainless strips. They are almost flush with the car but yet add a finish line that I believe was missing from the original design.
If your marks/scratches are within 7/16" then these strips do cover them. And, on the black cars, having the black show on the inside margin, it still looks good.
Although this strip is permanent, you can still remove them. On a hot day, or with a hair dryer, just slide beneath them a piece of fishing line and they come right off. Then a wipe down of 60/40 alcohol and water mix to remove the bonding agent, where it stays in tact.
When I was in for the picture shoot, all of their products, every item they make, was on the car. Even though I did not want it all on. That was how they removed the parts.
By the way, there is another product that I used before these strips. It was a piece of Chrome plastic over rubber that I had adhered to the deck. It was 5/8 wide and sat about 1/8" high. This really looked like a real chrome piece that belonged there. And, it went across in one solid piece, the two dividing lines on either side of the center deck. Some have used that and still put their top on over it. It's about a $9.00 item and came off very easy on a hot day just by lifting it by hand with minimum residue. If you want that part number email me, it's here somewhere or I'll look it up. In fact if you do a search here on Hard top fixes you'll find it.
I hope this helps and HAPPY NEW YEAR

QAA s.s.mouldings...

I got the QAA stainless strips for Christmas, but haven't put them on yet. :) My car is stored for the winter time, but as soon as i take it out in the springtime, I'll put them on and post the results! 'bye!

Claude ;)

Did You Take Your Top Off?

George, did you ever take your top off? Were the SS strips still shining and was there any damage to the deck finish?

Welcome and enjoy your new car.

Let me answer your questions. First of all the only Ford fix, is the Mylar strips, that your dealer provides.
Many TBird owners wanted a better finish look and wanted to protect the rear deck withoutthe unsightly mylar ford strips.
I worked with QAA and the result is that there are SS Strips available. I have had my top on the strip for about 1500 miles and will remove it soon to see if the SS Strip has any damage from the gasket riding on it.
So, If you want to protect your finish, use the mylar strips as per instructions they come with.
If you want a better fish look, when the top is off, then buy the SS Strips and put them on. In fact, just to be safe, put the Ford mylar strips on top of the SS Strips and enjoy.
I plan to post, when I take off my top, as to whether any rubbing marks appear on the SS Strip or the painted surface. That's why in the meantime I would urge you to use both, if you want this modification.

Either way, I don't see a draw back or special care
Good luck![/QUOTE]

RAN25 Yes my top came off, but not until I had travelled 3500+ with top on the QAA strips.
Results? Minor abrasions on the corners where the gasket overhung the stainless strip and various (3-4) scratches in the stainless, which was not a big deal. I rubbed most of them out.
I showed QAA, but I don't think they'll redesign the strips. It was that minor.
Resolution? From now on I'll just put the mylar over the stainless before I put the top on.
For anyone who doesn't drive a lot of miles, when the top is on, I wouldn't do anything.
Hope this helps, and thanks for asking :)

......mine is my daily driver.....going into my 3rd winter and have never used any strips...I'm the second owner so the 'Bird didn't come with them and I've never bothered and it's not an issue with me.....some minor chaffing but buffable....maybe it's the colour.....Inspiration Yellow.....that doesn't show.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back