Hardtop Protection Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.
T
I was at my local dealer for some unrealeted T-Bird business and decided to ask the parts department for information on the up-graded stick on tape that protects the body from the hardtop. It's about time to put the top on in the Cleveland area since snow is around the corner. (I'll never take my baby out in the snow and slush.) It took a good bit of time to find what they thought was the correct item. Well the tape kit was $142.00. This seems very stiff for some stick on tape.

I recall some chat a few months ago about an upgrade on this item. Does anyone recall the correct upgrade part number and approx. cost.

Thanks

Ticket Ted

2003 Whisper White/Premium/ Red-Black interior

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Ted:
I believe the tape kit number is 4W6Z 76202W30AA. At that price, why wouldn't you consider the Stainless Steel Strip from QAA? It gives a much better "finish" appearance when your top is off.

Hi all,
First post here.
I'm a 2004 T-bird owner and, preparing for the winter and, alas, getting to put back the hard-top [ :( and :) ]
My mechanical, etc. skills are not very deep, so I just have a quick question :

Does the QAA Stainless Steel Strip you're talking about replace the white plastic strips-things that come with the car and that you are supposed to put everytime you put back the t-tops?
Any drawback, special care?

Ok that's 2 questions ;)
Thanks!

My dealership provided the new tape kit to me at no charge. It was put in as a warranty claim since the old tape allowed the hardtop to scratch my rear deck. If your T-Bird is still under warranty then the service guys at your dealership should take care of you. Just ask 'em.

SS Strips

oiseautonnerre:

Welcome and enjoy your new car.

Let me answer your questions. First of all the only Ford fix, is the Mylar strips, that your dealer provides.
Many TBird owners wanted a better finish look and wanted to protect the rear deck withoutthe unsightly mylar ford strips.
I worked with QAA and the result is that there are SS Strips available. I have had my top on the strip for about 1500 miles and will remove it soon to see if the SS Strip has any damage from the gasket riding on it.
So, If you want to protect your finish, use the mylar strips as per instructions they come with.
If you want a better fish look, when the top is off, then buy the SS Strips and put them on. In fact, just to be safe, put the Ford mylar strips on top of the SS Strips and enjoy.
I plan to post, when I take off my top, as to whether any rubbing marks appear on the SS Strip or the painted surface. That's why in the meantime I would urge you to use both, if you want this modification.

Either way, I don't see a draw back or special care
Good luck!

Xpel Strips work well too..

Folks...I've installed the Xpel hardtop protection. Not sure if it is the same as the Ford fix, but I have not had any rubbing issues. You also cannot tell that the strips are on my car unless you know to look for them. That may be due to my Inspiration Yellow color choice...don't know what they look like on the other colors.

Flair

Mine is whisper white, I have always been able to see about 1/4 inch of tape all around the back of the car. I have heard that this is normal.

The section of the tape that goes across the creases (gaps) between the fender and the trunk is really showing up now. The tape is getting a little dirty and lifting up just enough around the edges to make it look bad.

I have never had the top off, not sure what I will do about this problem. I think a few scuff marks under the top would look better than the nasty tape showing.

Flairbird:
I believe that the X-Pel product is superior to the, old and new, Ford Mylar strips. Certainly it is heavier and more durable and should last a long time. The visibility of it is really related to the light and angles at which you view it.
Note for others: This is the same product that the invisible Bra's are made from for the front end of the cars, and are highly durable.
Sophia:
You are correct, the tape has always been visible, both old and new. Note:If the tape you speak of is from Ford, the old tape was only good for about 3 months and the new tape is supposed to be good for 30000 miles. I suspect that yours may be the old type, if it is peeling up.
If as you say, a few scuff marks are better then the tape, it sounds like you're ready to take it off. If so, I highly recommend the new stainless steel strips. They do not show, they protect the deck, they covered whatever scuff marks I had and when the top is off, it gives your deck area a finished look that many were looking for. I had posted pictures previously. You could find those with a search here. Plus, they are easily installed.
Edit to include pics:

Attachments

• Deck strip with top up.JPG
    Deck strip with top up.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IM000331.JPG
    IM000331.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
George, thanks for the info.
I'll stick to the Ford strips for now and keep a very interested eye on the results of your SS strips test.
Good luck to you too :)

I realize this thread has been dead for a couple of months, but I just now discovered it. :eek: I bought a preowned 2003 in September and have been delighted with it. It came with a hard top, but I have neither the "old" tape nor the newer Mylar kit. Unfortunately, my local dealer must not have much experience with hard tops, as they didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I asked about the Mylar strips. :( Since someone was kind enough to post the part number here, I'll try giving it to them and see if they can order it for me.

Question for those of you who have used the Mylar: are you supposed to leave it on once applied, even when the hard top is off, or do you remove it when you remove the top? Figured I'd better ask here since my dealer seems to be clueless. ;)

.....If I may offer another alternative.....I have an Inspiration Yellow example...bought used....no strips....chaffing very minimal.....to the point I can live with it......maybe it's because of the colour......chaffing pretty much polishes out.....being up here, we have plenty of winter so plenty of top time....Super careful about clean surfaces before putting top on.....the top fits well....this is the second winter.....can't get excited about strips, types and installation techniqes........ :D .....and Dealer knowledge of these roadsters here is ?????????????

Thanks, maybe I should just forget the whole thing and live with a little scuffing. :) It's not bad so far, but the car had VERY low mileage on it when I acquired it, and I don't know how much the previous owner used the hard top. Compared to your location, winters here are mild and fairly short, so fooling with tape or the SS strips may be a waste of time for me. In any case, I don't expect to bother with SS since I'm not looking to customize the car, and I'd rather not fool with the tape either unless it's really necessary to prevent major paint damage. I may try one winter without it and see what happens.

Brassman
One winter with the top on and it may be too late. Since you do not really know about history, I would put some tape on just to be safe. Cheaper than a new paint job on back panel. PS. I put on expel when car was new. works great, but I can see where the top would rub if I did not have tape.
Just my opinion
Dennis

Thanks for the advice. If I can "educate" my local dealer enough to where they'll order the Mylar kit for me, I'll probably use it. It's just been a big hassle so far, and I'm at a point where I really want to get the hard top back on. I'll try once more and give them the part number this time. Hopefully that's enough to get them going.

Ford put the new tape on for me, and give me a new piece with the cleaner included, in the carrying case with the T-Bird logo on it. It should last me forever if it is guaranteed for 30,000 miles. I only have 6,000 miles on my 2003, bought it in July 03.

I really like the look of that ss strip though. I think I would get it if I ever decided to drive with the hard top off.

To get back to my original question, I assume the tape comes off if you remove the hard top, yes? If so, can you reapply the same tape over and over until the 30,000 miles is reached, or must you use new tape every time you apply it? I doubt my dealer will know the answer to this question since they don't seem to even know about the tape itself. :rolleyes:

Brassman:
I believe that the tape is meant to stay on for 30,000 miles and then replace it. The instructions with the original tape was to change it every 3000 miles.
Once you remove it, it probably would not sit too well.
It you think that this is too expensive, you have two other choices.
A) Replace with invinca-shield at about $9.00 per application
B) Go with a more permanent fix. A mirror finish stainless steel strip around that same area from QAA. It gives a nice finish look when the hardtop is off. I think I posted pictures earlier. Do a search on "hard top" to see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back