Hard Top Color | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Hard Top Color

• Thread starter Thread starter huisjen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I just put the top on and never realized before that it is a different color is from the body of the 2004 Thunderbird. It is the same color but lighter. Not a real big difference and wouldn't be noticed unless it is pointed out. It seems that if were a sun fading issue that the body would be lighter. Just wondered if anyone else has this symptom. Maybe the tops were made in a different place and there were different paint lots?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Haven't heard of this in the 12 years I've owned one.
What color is ithe car?

Did you buy it used? If so possibly the otiginal owner bought the car without a hardtop and somewhere along the line, an owner bought a used HT. And it could have been from any year......they are interchangeable

There were 6 colors in 2004, Blk, Red, Mint grn, Silver, Merlot and light Ice Blue, Could it be the Blue but with a silver top???😕🙄

There are so many things that go into color, and some people are better at spotting the differences than others.

Different materials absorb pigments differently (metal vs fiberglass vs plastic bumper covers, etc) and those differences can show more with age. You can paint two different materials at the exact same time and have a slightly different color show after it dries. Even things such as the amount of air pressure the paint was applied with, to the humidity at the time of the painting, etc...

I really doubt that the hardtops were painted alongside of the car they were meant to go on. So yes, it could be a different 'lot', or something that you'll notice that nobody else ever will. I can almost always find minor differences between bumper covers and quarter panels that most people will go their lifetime without ever noticing. It's one of those things you realize is normal. Enjoy your bird. 🙂

Hard Top Color

Thanks for your responses.

It is Platinum Silver.

I have the original sales MSRP and the top was delivered with it.

Otherwise, I think you guy nailed it. The color is very nominally different and could well have been any of the reasons that you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back