grille appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

guysfun

Supporting Contributor
Last seen
Hey people: Is there anybody else wh hates the Grille?
I would like to purchase a new grille, pehaps a tubular stainless job. Even a reproduction grille that doesn't look like cheap plastic would be great. I think the stock grill makes the car look to much like a Franklin Mint model. Any help available? Much appreciated!
Guy Giordano at Harveys Lake, PA

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I to think the grill looks cheep, this was one of my first thoughts when I saw the car at a car show a few years ago. I thought the real car would come with a real grill.... even so I love the car and when I am behind the wheel I can’t see it. Maybe some after market company will improve on this, I don’t think I have seen any other comments on this, I may be wrong. Sounds like a good project for a start up business, 30,000 sales not bad...... If you come across something please post information.

mike02redbird
Red/Red/Full

Speaking of grills...does anyone know if that black styrofoam behind the lower half is supposed to remain in place? Or was that for shipping purposes? I went to clean out the holes individually today and was surprised to find it there.

------------------
Debi in MI
2002 T-Bird blue/full blue/no top
1997 Corvette black
1987 Cougar XR-7 black

It's not real styrofoam, just carefully made to look like cheap packing material. it is part of the bumper energy absorbing system.

------------------
Ron

VIN #7729, seq.#7505, blue premium,
partial blue interior, no top, Louisville Ky.

Do not remove what's beghind the grille. It is there for a purpose. I asked this question many months ago and the response was: 1) It is part of the bumper safety crash test. 2) It gives rigidity to the grille under high speed. 3) It does not restrict air flow

Thanks for the answers about the black "bumper energy absorbing system". It does look like that white styrofoam packing material made out of little white balls all squished together and painted black. After my 1000 mile road trip with no driving problems, I assumed it belonged there but just wanted to be sure.

------------------
Debi in MI
2002 T-Bird blue/full blue/no top
1997 Corvette black
1987 Cougar XR-7 black

I felt the same about the grill but then I realized, being the grill is unprotected the plastic may , give a little and may be cheaper to repalce then a stainless steel or chrome one. Just a note I was at the Convention in NJ and aguy had just bought a '55 to '57 grille from a vendor and when he walked by my '02 we deceided to hold it up against mine to check the size, just for courisity. They seem to be excatlly the same size. I don't think I would go to the trouble of switching it, although the thinner '57 grille is easier to keep clean.
Don't forget it's your car and you can change anything you like

------------------
2002 Black/Black/Full Red
1957 Starmist Blue

This is an interesting thought:
57 bluebird

I felt the same about the grill but then I realized, being the grill is unprotected the plastic may , give a little and may be cheaper to repalce then a stainless steel or chrome one. Just a note I was at the Convention in NJ and aguy had just bought a '55 to '57 grille from a vendor and when he walked by my '02 we deceided to hold it up against mine to check the size, just for courisity. They seem to be excatlly the same size. I don't think I would go to the trouble of switching it, although the thinner '57 grille is easier to keep clean.
Don't forget it's your car and you can change anything you like

Reply from Guy: Hey, who cares about it being cheaper to replace? If that was all important, the car would have a 4 cylinder engine and look like a Pinto! NO, we have a quality product at a premium price. I saw this knock dow-drag-out beautiful "Billet Grill" on a custom bird on the copy of the previous issue of the California Car Cover Catalog. I'd really love to get one like that and I would be very happy to pay as much as $500 for it. Perhaps this is a measure of how much I hate the plastic egg crate. Thanks, Guy Giordano at Harveys Lake, PA.

http://www.performancewestgroup.com/vehicles/2002/tbird-sportster/pages/front.htm

The above link shows a 2002 Tbird with a billet grile. The grille was made by B-Cool Billets, but their web site doesn't list one for sale. You can see the whole custom car here:

http://www.performancewestgroup.com/

(Click on "2002 Image Vehicles")

Some early discussions of the plastic grille brought up the fact that to get the look the designers wanted, a metal grille would have been both extremely expensive and much heavier than a plastic grille. Ford was going for a 50/50 front/rear weight ratio (and came very close). The billet grilles I have seen on the Bird look great, but they mar the retro image that I really like about the car--sort of a cheesy grin. Plus, every once in a while I get to sit on the ground in front of the grille and carefully clean and polish each little rectangle.

Hey All

We must realize that this TBird is still a production car. The 55-57 Tbirds were made in the "real Car" style metal & all and much lower $$$ and better performance ETC. FORD is in this for $$$ and we, if we do want the T Bird will take it as is. Ad on items and upgrades are our choice. If you got it, spend it if it makes you happy to alter your Bird. Me for one I like the car as is, plastic and all. It is a rebirth of a desire for baby boomers like me. I will purchase all the goodies I seem to want to make my car better.
And in 2004 or 2005 I will buy another to put away or drive a few miles to make me happy. THATS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT.

DENNIS

Billet Grill

Wonderful Find
Hey friends, I agree, the car can and should be changed at the owner's expense. The billet grill shown by picture in the above artical is just super! I'm going to try getting one ASAP.
Thanks for the good advice.:rolleyes:

We had a topic about retractable tops. Someone posted a pic
of a model that had been converted.

The front end on this car looked much better than the
production line. It did away with those small round
lights, not sure what they are driving or fog. The
grill was replaced with a egg crate similar to older
Cadillacs or Ferrari. Know it would take a new front
clip but didn't look to see if side fenders had been
altered too.

Another thing that has helped many of these show cars
is they have changed the factory wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
The littltle lights are called "supplemental Parking Lamps" by ford. They are merely there as a design cue. Listed as optional equipment as with them mounted the do not meet the Federal frontal crash test and Ford belived they looked good on the car so they were a no cost option and wanted them on there. Hope this helps.
Lee:eek:

On the grill topic and frontal crash test. Had a discussion on
another forum that bumpers were not really bumpers
anymore. On most cars nows, especially the bird if it
just rolled into something you would have damage.
It would surely crack the plastic grill and mark the paint.

One reply was that today the damage just has to be
under a certain amount, ?? $300. Not that no damage
or visible damage will occur. Remember the old
pontiac ad where the guys hits the front with a hammer
and no damage. If you did that to some cars, say the
bird, it would be paint damage, rubber/plastic marked
if not cracked, or if you hit the grill and "supplemental
parking lights" even more. Probably pop the clips
holding the plastic covering to the front back frame
meaning the hold front clip would have to be removed
to fix.

That is correct. Federal laws dictate the modern cars and their safety equipment. Basically, the front of the car is designed to cruch on impact, however, it must be strong enough not to cause too much damage (I thought it was $500, but I have not kept up with the info). Hence, with the supplemental parking lamps in a 5mph crash, the cost was more than the required federal amount. Ford liked the look with them and called it a "No Cost Option" as options are not required in the test process.
I hope this comes across clear....I hate typing!
Lee :confused:

What car out there under $200K has anything but a plastic grill, Lexus? Caddy? Mercedes?:( :confused:

I hated the grill too :mad: but lets get real.
We do not live in the 1950's,
in the 90's and 2000's we better get used to plastic. The fenders, trunk and a bunch more things are plastic and better for it!

We have better seats, better engine and transmissions, ergonomics, insulation and on and on.:D

The egg crate is a bit tacky, a plastic chromed grill with a bit more resemblance to a 56 would have been better. I guess the manufacturer made a mock up of the one we have and the Ford Execs liked it!:cool:

Originally posted by guysfun
Hey people: Is there anybody else wh hates the Grille?
I would like to purchase a new grille, pehaps a tubular stainless job. Even a reproduction grille that doesn't look like cheap plastic would be great. I think the stock grill makes the car look to much like a Franklin Mint model. Any help available? Much appreciated!
Guy Giordano at Harveys Lake, PA

guy:
I think you would have to inquire at the after market places. Like our sponsers or others. Tbird Concepts, APADCO, California Car Cover,etc.
If these don't carry one, maybe they could lead you to a supplier.

George: NOBODY MAKES ONE!
It is an easy way for a parts maker to make lots of bucks if they do it like the one shown in this thread. I tracked the one down from California car covers but their supplier won't make anymore. I love the one shown in this thread because it doesn't involve body work to remove the parking lights like the California example did.
Thanks for your well intended reply, Guy Giordano

Possibly contact this one

Guysfun and mike02redbird.
Maybe you could contact Saleen to see where they had this Special Aluminum Grille made for the Saleen T Bird.

http://www.saleen.com/auto/tbird/tbirdcon.html

Although I don't see the cars in the above previous posts identified, I believe the TBird shown is a Saleen. They had it made somewhere and might be willing to share that info with you. Unless of course I'm too late with this post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back