Goodbye and Good Luck

T
I sold my 2002 Tbird last month. I owned it for 3 years. I was very happy to be done with it, and the new owner was happy too. I call it a win win! I even made a few bucks. This car is just not for everyone and surely not your primary ride. I went to my local Ford dealer for cruise control cable when I first got the car (among other parts) and every part I referenced he said "OBSOLETE!" shop the internet. Not too helpful if you are on a 13 hundred mile road trip from NY to Fl. 3 years, 3,000 miles. I was done. Every day I got e-mails from this forum with the same two dozen issues. Cops, peeling chrome, lights, FEM, stuck gas cap, disc stuck in radio, fuel pump just to name a few. So this is goodbye, enjoy your ride! --- Alan

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I sold my 2002 Tbird last month. I owned it for 3 years. I was very happy to be done with it, and the new owner was happy too. I call it a win win! I even made a few bucks. This car is just not for everyone and surely not your primary ride. I went to my local Ford dealer for cruise control cable when I first got the car (among other parts) and every part I referenced he said "OBSOLETE!" shop the internet. Not too helpful if you are on a 13 hundred mile road trip from NY to Fl. 3 years, 3,000 miles. I was done. Every day I got e-mails from this forum with the same two dozen issues. Cops, peeling chrome, lights, FEM, stuck gas cap, disc stuck in radio, fuel pump just to name a few. So this is goodbye, enjoy your ride! --- Alan

I hear ya! I've been lucky so far, but I bought low mileage and all works well. I will STILL say, there is not a car on the road that I think is better looking . . .

Very unfortunate that a few written words could steer someone wanting a T-Bird may not buy. Lowers the price on those wanting to sell and take them on long trips. Yes, I have had a few problems with an 17 year old auto but I also have traveled from the midwest to California a few times with out problems. Thank you for your comment and please take no offense.

Any old car can be a money pit, even New ones, but on those cool early mornings in the North Ga mountains with the top down on our 02 listening to the oldies, it's money well spent on what we enjoy. When I find a Black 55 for a good price, the old woman will have the 02. We'll still keep on cruising until they throw the dirt in our face :)

It IS a TWENTY YEAR OLD CAR, so I guess that is the trade-off, but WHO can buy a 20 year old car (virtually) and have it look as good as these do...My wife cracks up at how many people approach me on my 2002 torch red one. The stories you hear from "the admiring others (of which, I used to be one) are worth the ownership.

Attachments

• P1010330.JPG
    P1010330.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
My 02 TBird and my 03 GMC Sonoma were bottle the same month. Both have similar problems. I have old rubber lines in both that seen to be leaking. Both have bad radios. Both get driven regularly and I drive the tbird about 200 miles a week. Both take more maintenance than a new car, but all old cars do. You just cannot but a new car that looks as nice as the old bird

I would agree with Alan that these cars are not for everyone. I would also add that for anyone considering the purchase of one of these, do your homework first. Check out sites like these for owner experiences and talk to as many current owners as you can. I've had my 2003 for a little over 2 years and I've had very few issues with it, but I only drive it occasionally and never in the winter.

Kept indoors when not driving and heated storage winter. I am not driving enough to systems in good shape and my idea if it is not driven it will have problems. There is not a time when parked or driving someone give the high five sign to the car.

I would agree with Alan that these cars are not for everyone. I would also add that for anyone considering the purchase of one of these, do your homework first. Check out sites like these for owner experiences and talk to as many current owners as you can. I've had my 2003 for a little over 2 years and I've had very few issues with it, but I only drive it occasionally and never in the winter.
The 02 Bird is the first and worst of them all, even a different motor configuaration. I have an 03 and have not had any of the same issues that all those 02's and up have had, maybe I got a good one that was made before the Friday whistle blow to go home. I just knocked on wood in case.

I own a 05 T-Bird purchased new in Nov. 04. This coming November the car will be 15 yrs. old. The car has 109352 miles on it. It has been back-n-forth across the United States 10 times and I would not hesitate to do it again.
Yes the car has had some mechanical problems, none of which would cause me to get rid of it. We drive it everyday as it is our only car.
Yes every time we are out & about we receive very nice comments about the car. It is unique! It is not a look alike sedan nor is it an everyday SUV, but instead a style all its own.
Yes you can search all the web sites relating to Thunderbirds and learn of all the faults the Retros(2002-05) have. After-all they are getting to be older cars being passed over by new technology. BUT I have come to realize something about human nature and that is, folks are more inclined to complain, whine & moan about something than to go on & on about how well everything is. Think about it. How frequently have you seen on this site or any other car site that features owner's comments an expression of just how smoothly everything is going with their car? Usually you won't fine any comments like that, just comments about how bad it is.
Yes things happen, tell me about any mechanical thing that doesn't have a problem or two or a part or two that is difficult to locate. Yes the parts have been discontinued by Ford & why not the car has been out of production for 14 years. Ford has moved on, there is no requirement to have in stock every imaginable part.
All that said, if those are reasons to sell or trade away your 2002-05 T-Bird so be it. You probably did not enjoy the car and its Thunderbird heritage in the first place.

I took a gamble and told the prospective buyer about the low production numbers and the possible difficulty getting parts. That is more than my seller afforded me. Just a note. It had only 40,000 miles and garage kept all its life. In our three years and 3,000 miles together it performed well. But I always had these issues in the back of my mind preventing me from fully enjoying the car. The aftermarket never embraced this car. If I could just go to the dealer, NAPA or Autozone and buy a part off the shelf I never I would not have sold it.--- Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
Until my T Bird I have never owned an old car, had a Lincoln Town Car Ultimate that I kept 6.5 years and only
spent $150.00 on it. My 2002 T Bird has been very trouble free for 17 years, and plan to keep it for 10 or more
years. So much so that I bought another 2002 as a backup. I enjoy the car, the looks, and feel. I almost traded
my 2002 for a BMW, or Mercedes convertible, but in the end the T Bird had more soul that the two new cars, that
is why I bought a second T Bird as a backup.

I too traded in my 2002 T-Bird last month after owning it for 9 years. It was a fun car and I loved the looks. But after the AC went out again, a slight oil leak and the power steering became a little rough (due to FEM probably) I decided to trade it for a new Camaro. I too had many of the same T-Bird problems(COPS, clockspring, passenger airbag, AC compressor) over the years and this car is not the easiest to work on. Best wishes to those that still own T-Birds.

Until my T Bird I have never owned an old car, had a Lincoln Town Car Ultimate that I kept 6.5 years and only
spent $150.00 on it. My 2002 T Bird has been very trouble free for 17 years, and plan to keep it for 10 or more
years. So much so that I bought another 2002 as a backup. I enjoy the car, the looks, and feel. I almost traded
my 2002 for a BMW, or Mercedes convertible, but in the end the T Bird had more soul that the two new cars, that
is why I bought a second T Bird as a backup.

Glad to see someone else is crazy as I am I also like my Merlot 04 so well I bought an identical one. I keep one in Florida and one in Indiana

having old cars most of my life they will break down eventually. My 55 Pontiac has problems now and again, and if you think finding bird parts is hard find some parts for one of these. All said I enjoy my bird even with the few problems it has had over the past couple of years. It's an 03 black think it must of been a mid week car.

I liked my 2002 so much, but at 175,000 miles, it started to show some problems. BUT, I was lucky enough to find a 2005 within 60 miles of where I live that only had 34,000 miles on it, owned by an elderly man who had passed away and he only drove it locally. And, I found it on eBay! I didn't like what else was out there, and as others have said, there isn't a week that goes by when someone doesn't stop and admire the car (mostly older men) who stop to tell me stories about when they or their dad had a 1958! For me, I just worry that when the time comes to retire this one (I've only put 40,000 miles on it in the past 4 years - so it will be a while) I won't be able to find another. Good luck to you as well!

I have a 2005 TBird, Bought new in late 2005 from Stivers Ford, Montgomery, AL. I had a 2003 That I
Trades for the 2005, as of today, it has (100,00)miles and Is in showroom new condition. No problems and is driven less than 100 miles/month. Lives in the Garage. Platinum Silver Premium Model. All systems work great. It’s my Grandson, Cooper Sparks car in 12 years.
Marine Mick

Not too helpful if you are on a 13 hundred mile road trip from NY to Fl. 3 years, 3,000 miles. I was done. Every day I got e-mails from this forum with the same two dozen issues. Cops, peeling chrome, lights, FEM
So.... your 17 year old car wasn't a good car to travel cross country in? Lol
The 17 year old chrome peeled after being exposed to salt and zero degree winter weather and then scorching hot summers for nearly two decades? LOL
The one thing that always amazes me on the forum (besides people posting cars for sale in the wrong forum) is people acting like these cars are brand new, or stereotyping and assuming all the cars have problems. There are thousands of people on the forum. People are typically only going to post when they have a problem. That doesn't mean everyone has a problem. As you see, many took the time to chime in and mention their car hasn't had issues.

To put things into perspective, according to your profile you were 53 when this car was manufactured! Now you are 70!

Any old car can be a money pit, even New ones, but on those cool early mornings in the North Ga mountains with the top down on our 02 listening to the oldies, it's money well spent on what we enjoy. When I find a Black 55 for a good price, the old woman will have the 02. We'll still keep on cruising until they throw the dirt in our face :)
The old cars from the 50's to 70's were easy to work on as a do it your self. The days of carberators, distributers and plug wires are gone. Now all cars are F I and everything managed by electronics and computers, even the throttle is managed by wire, no more cable or adjustment capabilities. Electronics are prone to give way over time due to heat and the elements and the Bird is no different so there will be problems but you don't throw in the towel if you have a love hate relationship with the car.

Back