Get a Grill

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guysfun, I guess you know that Ford did make all their design exec's hand wash several 55, 56, & 57 birds to get the feel of the lines of the body. As for the "free" supplemental parking lamps. These lamps could not be a standard part of the car because they would not pass the Governments 5 MPH crash test. Charging for the lamps as an option would not work because the car with this option would not pass either. The loop hole was to offer the lamps free if you wanted them. Because they were not a standard item or a charged option they were not subject to the 5 MPH crash test.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

No, I did not know that about the free parking/fog lamps. The explanation you gave really ties it all together and it sure does make sense now. I just think the Feds are really nuts with rules like this which are so simply circumvented. Now, if any of us get into a 5 mph crash and the lamps break, do you think Ford will give us new ones for free? Ha-Ha, I doubt that very much, but you never know!
Thanks, Guy.

i think the chromed plastic is easier to clean and it won't rust. yes, even stainless will rust given enough time.

cost: plastic will always be cheaper than stainless steel.

extra bonus trivia question:
who invented stainless steel?
where was it invented?
why was it invented?

Disagree! Plastic chrome comes off and you are left with usually black plastic. You can clean the heck out of stainless to remove rust even with sandpaper or steel wool and you won't destroy the base metal. Yes, Stainless can rust but this is pretty rare in automobile applications. How many 55-57 Chevys have you seen with rusty stainless side moldings? I think it has a lot to do with the quality of stainless used and the exposure to salt. Billet aluminum that has been anodized looks great too. Take a look at the new Saleen T-Bird grill ... that is what I call a class act. You can find it on the front page of the new California Car Cover Catalog which came in my mail yesterday. Hey, different strokes for different folks ... I know it's not a lot by today's standards but for $40,000 I don't think Ford has done justice to the car with the plastic grill. On the basis of the need to repeatedly clean dried dead bugs from the front grill, plastic chrome was just a poor choice of material in my book. Sorry, I have to appologize for being non-supportive. Guy Giordano at Harveys Lake, PA.

I agree whole heartedly that a nice polished stainless steel grille would be the way to go except for one thing. At 3,795 lbs this car is already 500 - 700 lbs to heavy. It may only be a pound or two, but when your already this much overweight you can't afford it. Can you imagine what kind of screamer this car would be if it tipped the scales at 3,100 - 3,200 lbs. I hope in the next few model years of the T-Bird it goes on a diet along with the power increases.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Yes, it seems most cars are going plastic. Now there is little wrong with plastic - it is lighter and will not rust. I do think Ford or the subcontractor could have done a better job on the detail. If it were stainless steel we have a full cut out grill. On the current plastic grill the edges and outer ends are NOT cut out and are chromed. We lose the grill affect at those points. I would love to cut the chrome out of those areas, but realize it may very will cause the remaining chrome to peel. A little bit more attention to the detail would be appreciated.

AKBirdie

It seems that everyone is forgetting (or may not be aware) that the car mfrg's must keep front/rear end 5-15 mph collisions under federally regulated-specific dollar amounts. Based on national insurance standards. I would guess that may be a big part of it.

I agree the Look would be great with a stainless stamped grille; and 100% easier to clean. However what would the replacement cost be in a fender bender vs the plastic. I'm no car mfgr, but I think the plastic was easier, lighter, and a bit cheaper . I also think it looks good as is, and like the depth it provides. The 77-79 and 80's had chrome plated plastic. My 77 had over 200,000 miles (it was a sharp,clean driver, but not a show car) in 1996 and still looked good. I didn't keep it parked in the sun and never had it fade out or peel....I'm not worried about this one. If you are concerned, it wouldn't be a bad idea to purchase a replacement (expensive as it may be) and hang on to it for "later". I bought the car because I love it's looks as well as it's heritage.
No offense, just my 2 cents.
Lee
94/95/02

Hey, has anybody discovered a source for a billet aluminum or stainless bar grill? I see Ford is still usung that plastic egg crate some of you still like. I saw a beautiful billet grill made by a shop in California but the owner said it was a one-off job and he didn't want to make any more. He also had concern about removing the impact foam behind the stock grill. Anybosy got any input on this subject? I stll hate my grill but I love the car!
Thanks, Guy.

.....Well.....the Cashmere 'Bird has a painted grille.....The monochrome look takes away from one of the fundemental styling que's.... the chrome grill....so...chrome plastic?....or painted plastic?

Plastic or Aluminum Grill?

I think the grill could use some help but there is the added weight to consider. Would polished aluminum work/look as well and stand up better than plastic to road sand, etc? Someone will make some money by offering a nice replacement at some point.

tigerpaw68 said:
I think the grill could use some help but there is the added weight to consider. Would polished aluminum work/look as well and stand up better than plastic to road sand, etc? Someone will make some money by offering a nice replacement at some point.

Someone does make a grill but I think it was about $800... it seems like it was horizontal bars. Ill see if I can find it.

Get a Grille

Finally!
Thanks but its too bad i sold my T-Bird before this happened. I am depressed now but i sent the info on to the fellow who bought my car.
Thanks, Guy

guysfun said:
Finally!
Thanks but its too bad i sold my T-Bird before this happened. I am depressed now but i sent the info on to the fellow who bought my car.
Thanks, Guy

There's still more than 1,500 unsold Thunderbirds... <grin>

Unsold T-Birds???

What's the story on Unsold Birds? Any idea on years, and discounts to be expected?
Thanks, BuzGuy

guysfun said:
What's the story on Unsold Birds? Any idea on years, and discounts to be expected?
Thanks, BuzGuy

By my reckoning theres about 1,400 2005s left and about 150 2004s. There won't be any factory rebates on the 2004s as all available incentives have been given to the dealer. He can pass them on or not... I don't know the current rebates in effect for the 2005s since the family plan expired Oct 3. If it's the difference in buying one or not it shouldn't be too difficult to get one at "X-plan" price. (X-plan is a discount available for friends and neighbors of Ford employees.) I see people asking for Xplans at BlueOvalNews.com all the time so they are available

Grill Replacement

Thanks Quickdraw for the grill information. I like it. I also want to thank those that contributed to the muffler/tip replacement thread. That was helpful as I would like to go with one of the Flowmaster choices and extend the tips about 4" to get past the valance.

Last edited:
I'm a little late posting to this thread, but I'm okay with the plastic egg-crate grill; like an earlier poster, I wish it was a thru-grille all the way to the edges, but that might have made it too flimsy (er, pardon me, too flexible). I come from an era when we valued heavy chrome metal, but hafta confess that the weight savings of the plastic (especially in a non-moving part, unlike a door handle or window crank, where the heft was welcome and satisfying) is desirable. As to the quality and durability of the chrome, well, my 78 DJ grill looks like brand new, and it's swing-away chrome plated plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back