Ford Thunderbird FEM (Front Electronic Module) 2002 2003 2004 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
V
Last seen
I've done some investigation and think I have narrowed the problem down to the FEM - windows won't drop, wipers turn on and off by themselves, headlights go out, temp gauge goes to overheat.
Is there a definitive way to diagnose the problem before I spend hundreds on a new module? I understand the dealer has to install it but I'd rather trust my diagnosis. The Ford dealer around here has a shady reputation.
Thanks for the help.

MODERATOR NOTE 2020- We've found a direct source for the FEM's!
You can now purchase a remanufactured FEM directly from a Ford dealer with a 2 year warranty! These FEM’s we are remanufactured by Ford and are covered by the nationwide Ford warranty for 2 years/unlimited mileage. The part numbers listed below are all of the versions of the FEM modules. They all carry a $1200.00 core. When a core is returned they will not refuse to refund the customer's money provided you follow the core return instructions. They do not list all of the part numbers on the site to avoid customer confusion. Since a VIN is required they just provide the correct product to the customer when the linked item is purchased.

1W6Z14B205AA
1W6Z13C788BA
3W6Z14B205AB
6W6Z13C788AB

MODERATOR UPDATE! We've have had numerous complaints from members who had serious problems when purchasing a new FEM from Philip Wegener Thunderbird Specialties aka Powersport California Custom. See this page for details.

Read this thread for details about rebuilding your FEM- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/help-needed-front-electronic-module-fem.5560/

Attachments

• FEM-Removal-Instructions.pdf
    440.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've done some investigation and think I have narrowed the problem down to the FEM - windows won't drop, wipers turn on and off by themselves, headlights go out, temp guage goes to overheat.
Is there a definitive way to diagnose the problem before I spend hundreds on a new module? I understand the dealer has to install it but I'd rather trust my diagnosis. The Ford dealer around here has a shady reputation.
Thanks for the help.

Some places that sell auto parts and do automotive work, like Pep Boys or VIP, will hook you up to a scanner at no charge and tell you exactly what you need. Others may charge you for this service

Bad Ford dealer? Most owners have found that Lincoln dealers service is much better, since our drive train is all Lincoln LS and therefore they know much more about the car and potential issues since the Lincoln LS had these same issues. And, they sold a lot more of those than the TBirds.

Fem

I am having trouble with my 2003 t-bird, FEM, tried to get one through ford parts, and they told me the manufacturer of the part is not in business anymore. they have this part on back order until 2021, and have tried other outlets but no luck, don't know what else to do, good luck....

Turk, I did send you a PM and listed below is more data I found by searching around for you:

* - One owner said; The module is obsolete but my dealer located one in Houston. $800. - Maybe that means you need to shop dealers. I know Silver Springs Ford has many TB parts
* - Another said; if it's the front electronics module, 1W6Z14B205AA. It's covered under the emissions warranty because it controls emissions parameters as well as dash lights.
* - And another; In Aug 2012 my module went out symptom was, no dash lights. Left it at dealer they called within a few hours telling me they have ordered the part and will install it tomorrow. Thank goodness I bought the extended warranty, this will only cost me the $100 deductible. Ten years and this is the first problem I've had so, I can't complain.... So if you have ext warranty, they have to find it and give you transportation in the meantime:)

Turk;
In my reviewing other peoples issues I found another consideration is:

* - "Electronic modules in the newer cars will probably be an issue in the future. Ford, along with the other major auto manufacturers, really make only 'sheet metal' and engines these days. Most of the other components are made by outsource companies like TRW Automotive for instance. As for what supplies or availability might be like say 3-5, or 10 years or more down the road, who can say? Some of the electronic modules are somewhat 'generic' in that the modules used for the 2002-2005 Thunderbird might also be used in the Lincoln LS and Jag 'S' Type. "
Quite frankly I had not thought of that, but it makes sense since our drive train is Lincoln LS. So Lincoln dealers could be a better source. In fact I've said for years that they are better to service with, simply because of the drive train. Many people I know had better luck using Lincoln when their Ford dealers were stumped .
I think too, that the Jaguar was under Ford when the TBird's were being built so those dealers may have FEM's. Worth a try???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back